View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
It was actually a D44... Ed Brown and Clyde LeStage had made some prototype cored 24mm D motors to see how they would perform before I got to Estes. They worked real nice, but a standard solar igniter would not work in them without lengthening the leads, making it cost-prohibitive to produce in quantity...too much work to produce a new igniter for a limited use motor. They were very impressive to hear in flight, but were down on total impulse.
Matt

Yea, I just looked at the video and the motor I thought was an Estes-made E was an AVI E11.8. You had been talking about some special motors Estes made for Internats and what not. I stopped the camera and when I started it again you had the E motor in your hand. I didn't catch the first part of your remark about it; what I caught was "This is where I think Estes is going...<someone asks question>...yea, it's just a double-length Estes D motor..." which is where I got the idea that it was an Estes motor. It was later that I zoomed in on it and you can see the AVI label.

Question: in that same presentation you had a box of Russian mini-a's that looked to be about the size of TVM's 10.5mm motors (except the nozzles were much larger than his) that you said you were going to submit to NAR S&T. Whatever happened with them?