View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Success...so far!

Fellow Rocketeers,

The girls (ages 11-12) did a fantastic job as I knew they would. It turns out we didn't get a full 90 minutes to work on the rockets so they only got about 80% done.

We got the engine mount assembly with engine block glued into the body tubes and marked the exterior of the tubes for fin and launch lug placement. They also got the shock cord mount glued onto the shock cord when we ran out of time.

I am going to have to go over to the leader's house and glue on all those fins on for them (eight fins / rocket X 9 = 72 fins total!!) to save time. I'll also have to do 9 launch lugs. Since I'm using super-glue to save time, I have to do it. Otherwise, the kids will be super-gluing their fingers to everything.

The girls can make fillets on the fins and launch lugs with some Aliphatic Resin Wood Glue I've got as well as pack all that clay into the nosecones. They are then going to paint them at home however they want.

So far, it's been great! It's so refreshing to have an attentive well-behaved group working on something and making progress!!!!! I'll keep you folks updated. The bull-pup turns out to have been a good choice because all those steps are good for them and they'll be proud of the finished product after all that work. Thanks.