View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Super-glue will often (not "always" but "often") be dangerous on Model Rockets like the Bull-Pup. it is brittle and can snap off in motor mounts centering rings, motor mount tubes and launch lugs. It also is very unhealthy for the rubber shock cords.

Part of teaching new builders is showing them how to READ the directions and use the glue that the instructions say to use. That also means allocating enough time to build a rocket.

If the rocket that looks the coolest cannot be built in the allocated time, then select a more appropriate rocket that can be safely built in the allocated time.

I totally agree with Fred here. For many first timers, READING and FOLLOWING the instrucyions is essential.

Also, reading the instructions and follwing the instructor as well.

Havung enough time to build a rocket and not hurrying helps out as well, instead of you doing all of the gluing, each participant should be doing that under your watchful eye, it's a great learning experience.

I have found in my many years of rocket building and instructing, start with the basics, I had a few new rocketeers that wanted to build a Saturn V as their first rocket because it was "cool", never had any building experience at all.

The most important aspect is that the builders don't become discouraged and never want to build a rocket again. There is a learning curve, as with anything, some grasp it quickly, while other need more time, it's the end result that is most important.

As far as glue goes, for a "common" build, carpenters glue (yellow) is suggested for balas to balsa and balsa to paper. Platic cement is suggested doe plastic to paper/balsa, something that I don't agree with, plastic cement "welds" to plastic pieces together.

Estes suggests carpenters glue over white glue, not every indtruction sheet reflects this, but, I find white glue to be runny compared to carpenters glue.

I haven't tried "gorilla glue
' yet, but, if I believe what is says on the package, that might be an option. Basically, it would be a cost factor.