Thread: Gooneybirds!
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar
I'm probably in the minority, but I remember losing some respect for Estes when I first saw the Goonybirds show up in the catalog. At the time, I considered model rockets "science", not "toys", and thought Goonybirds to be silly and childish. But, then again, I was only 12 years old. Now, I wish I had the whole set. Thanks for sharing.

Saddly, what we got wasn't what was originally intended. Those of us who have been in this forum for quite some time will likely remember that, when Mike Dorfler was still with us, he shared some development sketches of the goonies. Essentially, they were "super deformed" parody models (sort of what Rat Fink was to model cars). One was a parody of the Red Baron's plane, another a parody of the V2. Then Estes marketing took over and changed the concept to what we had in 73.

Unfortunately, after a couple vendors kitted out a couple of those sketches and started creating their own parody goonies, he removed the sketches.

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!