View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 01:09 PM
The Prodigal BAR Returns (again)

Default Ouch!!

I'm very sad to hear about the end of GN&H. I lived and worked in the Waukesha-Pewaukee-New Berlin area for ~5 years in the early 2000s. Any time I was feeling down, I'd take a trip to GN&H, see all that rocket gear (and other modeling stuff), and get a real boost. It had that warm, welcoming, slightly haphazardly "packed full o' neat stuff" atmosphere that reminded me of the local hobby shop (as in 2 blocks from home) that nurtured the first 3-4 years of my model rocket activities.

Even 10 years ago, there was a lot of speculation about the demise of the local hobby shop. GN&H was a shining beacon (along with, for me, Venture Hobbies down in Wheeling, IL) disproving that. I remember thinking that poorly run shops were probably at risk, but a place like Greenfield? Naw, they'll survive.

I never got to Happy Hobby or Model Empire. Geez - I was clearly goofing too much in those days!

Anyway, sad to hear it - just wanted to show some solidarity with Milwaukee and WHOOSH folks on here.

Just had to chime in on this one. A proper introductory "who I am" post coming soon.....
NAR #29660
I am a SAM - a SAM I am! (#489)
"Who would ever trade a simple, easy-to-understand command line for a confusing GUI and a clumsy mouse? Madness!" --Doswonk, ca. 1993