View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 12:05 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop
I lost my house at the beginning of 2013.
Didn't have much notice. Sheriff showed up with a 10 day notice.
Filed for a court hearing which gave us an extra 10 days.
I first got denied, filed an appeal, got denied, and now cutting it close to filing another appeal on time.
If I can't get to the SSA office by Friday, I don't know how much longer I'd have to wait until it starts all over again. It's going on 3 years now.
There are days I think the world would be better off without me.
It is becoming more of a challenge than I can endure most days anymore.
I've been there, too...while local law enforcement folks didn't serve me notice, my house's owner showed up one morning, banged on my door, and threatened to throw me out (and I soon afterward learned that a prominent local shyster attorney was involved--the only reason she hadn't sued was that I had nothing to collect), so I knew it was only a matter of time. I knew I was going to lose my home no matter what, but I *could* control to whom I lost it (a tire store on the block behind me wanted to level it to use the land for extra parking, and I didn't want the 1917-vintage house to be razed), so I quit claim deeded it to my next-door neighbor, who assumed the mortgage and has since completely restored the house. Also:

You probably won't like this, but losing your home would put you at the head of the line for the benefits I mentioned above. While the quit claim deeding of my house did result in higher rent at my disabled public housing apartment for two years (because fraudsters often divest themselves of property just to get benefits for themselves; in my case I was going to lose the house anyway), losing my house did expedite my getting disability benefits, and:

You'll get no argument from me about suicide. Those who spout platitudes about it never being the answer have never walked in our shoes, living every day for months or even years in excruciating pain (inhaling too deeply in my sleep made me wake up screaming in spinal pain). A disabled Vietnam veteran friend and I have discussed our personal criteria for when life is worth living--and when it ^ceases^ to be so--and between us, we have had to educate several health care providers that *quantity* (length) of life isn't the only factor (or even the most important one), but that *quality* of life is. Just be careful about what you might say regarding this to such people, because it triggers legal requirements that they have to fulfill (I loathe this, because my life--and the decisions regarding how and even if I will live, are *mine*, not theirs or the state's). However:

Always keep in mind that suicide, if successful, is irreversible, and that a failed suicide attempt can leave one in an even worse state. (My friend knows people who only succeeded in paralyzing or blinding themselves.) We know that one day, because of our respective progressive diseases, life will almost certainly become unbearable, and we will welcome death. So far though, we have found that other, positive, solutions are possible. I think you, too, are still in a situation in which positive alternatives to the final countdown (pun absolutely not intended!) can be found. I had to lose everything--except personal belongings--in order to enter this new phase of my life, and while it may sound depressing and even scary to you, I can testify that it's a much more tranquil life than how I was living before. You will find that instead of being owned by things, you will own things.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR