View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Estes Industries actively tried to kill HPR at every turn. Dane Boles personally told me that at a NFPA meeting in Houston. He was spearheading it.

Vern was also opposed to motors with visual effects.

The dissatisfaction by Estes of NAR was not so much regulatory as, it is of no consequence in the market, and its policies were not on a path to change that. I have been saying that too, for more than a decade. The fact that most people agree Bundick was a %^&* contributed to it and Barry is a hard nosed businessperson, some might call a $%^&&*.

HPR is on the path to a 50 year safety record. Even though TRA and NAR only got into it in 84-86, it has existed since about 1970. So in 2020 that will be 50 years. Most of the "incidents" I have personally seen or heard about were a direct result of the non-conventional range set-up TRA improperly mandates.

There is a certain tail wags the dog aspect to Carl's numbers so if you simply cut them in half you can't be too far off on the upside. For example he says 10:1 and I say from first hand Estes sources it is 7:1.

We have no idea how much "mis-information" Barry told us. I understand one of the posters here is in a position to know. I do know he said the right thing to give me comfort that Estes is here to stay.

Note well Barry's fixation on ORM-D Consumer Commodity approval.

Note my 1994 rmr posts about that:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....cd325540024e892

Jerry