View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I found the email that I had received from the President of the St Bonifacius Historical Society. Here it is in an abridged form:
...We still are securing funds to pay off the $23,000 plus cost of the project including the signs, the lighting (it is impressive at night) and the new coat of paint. This is the 6th time we have repainted it. This project has been my baby since they announced the closing of the base. A friend and I put up the last $3000 to complete the project and money is still trickling in. It seems a lot of folks that served there have found out and are helping us. ... The National Nike Ass. wrote me an E Mail stating the the lettering is on in the wrong direction and size and we should consider doing it right next time it needs painting. I informed them that it was requested to be done that way in order for us to acquire it. It sits on a 10 ft by 10 ft pad that the Army made us put 10 feet deep. The booster is also filled with concrete, one 5 gallon pail at a time. ... you would appreciate the Red Tape and the Hoops we had to jump through, quite amazing. We are trying to put together a display in our Historical Society Office regarding the missile and the site. We have lots of articles and photos. Some badges and pins and even the tip of the missile ...