Thread: Thunder Roc
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Out To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The Thunder Roc decal is a bitch to apply because of it's size. I used an off brand of acrylic clear on mine and as a result the decal has started to curl and peel off.

I printed the decal sheet in two parts (to fit 8-1/2 x 11) onto permanent-adhesive clear vinyl that I found on the 'net, 10 sheets for a little over 20 bucks. I used it to print nose art for one of my R/C planes, and realized it would be perfect for the all black Thunder Roc decals. I've done tests on a printed sheet with some clear acrylic sealer and it seems it will hold up okay.

Update:
Big Daddy bites the dust on maiden launch, Rest In Pieces.

Seems the bevel on the cone for the shock cord attachment allowed the pressure to blow by after only partially ejecting the cone (about half way, it has a very long shoulder). I think I might build another because the launch up to the recovery failure was AWSOME with a D12-3. If so, I intend to cover the beveled area in some way, or cut half the shoulder from the cone and use an alternate means of attaching the cord. I'm glad I used a very open area for this launch, as the nose cone buried into soft dirt about three inches. If I can bear to photograph it, I'll post a damage pic.