View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 AM
Master Modeler

We're going to do regular Alphas rather than IIIs....the III's 50th anniversary is a few years off yet, and sadly we can't invite Mike Dorffler to attend when that comes around in - what - 2022? I will have to figure out how to build one safely in about an hour and a half, but I think I can do that.

I'm not quite sure I agree with Rex about the motor hook. I put a recent Alpha together from the bulk box I alluded to above (date code on the box from sometime last year - and showing the projecting motor tube in the instructions) and I built it with the motor tube flush with the aft end of the body. It is true that you have to pull the motor hook out far enough to flex the main BT a little to get a motor in or out, but it's certainly not impossible. However, pulling the mount aft would obviate the need to flex the BT-50....and gain a precious 1/4 inch of space in the body for wadding/chute.

(it really gets tight in there to add a PerfectFlite FireFly as well....but it can be done. I have an older bulk-kit Alpha from six years ago - awful soft blue motor tube - that has the motor mount flush with the aft end - and it has a couple of dozen flights with a FireFy aboard now. But...I have to pack the 'chute really tightly and it doesn't always open. Substituting a Semroc 12 inches has helped.)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE