View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah, the Krylon lacquers were MUCH MUCH better paints than their later enamels, and their earlier enamels are WAY better than their modern CRAP...

They've reduced the VOC content SO much and reformulated the paint to compensate that it's just a REALLY lousy product (the consumer alkyd enamel "Krylon" they're selling now).

If you have an industrial supply house and can get ahold of the lacquer product, it's EVER SO MUCH better than any of the "consumer" crap they're selling... I don't think it's quite as good as the "old stuff" simply because even the industrial stuff is made now with less VOC's...

Later! OL J R

Scigs30 did a build thread here recently. He used the Krylon Acryli Quik Lacquer sprays. These are rebranded Krylon Interior-Exterior spray paints. Available via a number of"industrial" suppliers, as you point out. And it sounds like Graingers carries them. I've got one nearby and will have to check. My 10+ year old cans are still just fine, at least the ones that definitely were inverted to clear them, and that have clean nozzles. I did save a number of those nozzles when cans were used up. They are in my shop somewhere! Sometimes you luck out and nozzles work fine between some brands of paint.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp