View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
[QUOTE=lurker01]
I thought about collecting Centuri kits, but I have my hands full with the Estes builds. Also I never had exposure to Centuri kits as a kid. The hobby store only stocked Estes kits.
My dog loves my rockets. When I am packing my rockets to go flying he gets excited. We go flying and he runs with me to chase them down. My wife stays with the truck and rest of the rockets.
I have a lot of Estes kits to build so I really have not bought any other kits. I do buy from Semroc because I believe in what Carl does and I want to support his business.

Scigs,

My first ever model rocket was a Centuri Micron. I remember cutting coupon out of a Dracula comic book and sending the money in; $1.25 postage paid ... my how have things changed. I have always found the Centuri kits to be of better quality and design then the Estes offerings (1960s kits); after the sale of both to Damon, it all started to look the same.

I remember using water colors to paint the Micron and never flying it as I waited too long in gluing the thrust ring in with the dummy engine tube.

Later, I finally got into the air with a Centuri Screaming Eagle and the rest is history. You have a lot of 13XX kits. Those are VERY popular and gaining in value. I think only the old foogies here care about the "K" stuff, and the younger guys go for the sci-fi fantasy stuff. I am mixed about it as I think the "K" stuff is historical and desired, but the 13XX stuff is fun and given the costs in the current economy, I would actually build most 13XX series kits unless they were only available for a year or two.

Nice collection never the less! Good job! And a lot of time, money, and frustration involved.

Bob