View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Craftsman

I remember this rocket well, even though I did not get mine until around 84, long after it went OOP. It was on the very back of a display peg and quite cheap, likely still with its final price. While not a glider, I was drawn to the coolness of those plastic parts, which I immediantly recognized as also being on the NOMAD.

The NOMAD used full lengths of BT20 and 50, and this sort of 'washed out' the overall appearance. The Saros looked much better, and you gotta admit the roll pattern and decals were fine. Especially the little 'loaded' one and the chromy fin base squares. Not to mention the roll pattern which makes any rocket POP eyewise.

Same place had a BUTTLOAD of old OOP Estes kits even in 85 or so, with most of these being mid to late 70s models. I also got my grubby mitts on the LTV Scout (for the same reasons as the Saros, cool plastic parts and decals), the Vostok, another SkyDart (which promptly glided into the power plant), Wolverine, Solar Sailer, OLD packaged OT, and more. Also had a large tub of *diamond pack* as well as *blue tube* motors from the early 70s, and mostly the cool flavors like 1/4A3-1 18mm standards, A5s (both shortys and full length), B14s, and all the nonstandard booster motors you guys drool for.....all for $1/pak. Yep, you know where my money went back then......

If you had a time machine and set it for 1984 and hit this place......good grief, for $250 back then youd have enough stuff to Ebay today for gobs of money. Oh yeah, did I mention the Citation boxed kits for $4 each that NO ONE ever seemed to buy????