View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Here is something I noticed on EBay...

I'm a woodworker and I use mostly hand tool. Old hand tools, planes, hand saws, etc go for peanuts normally.

I also like to watch Roy Underhill on "The Woodwright Shop".

Whenever Roy shows how to use another cool old hand tool the price of those tools goes absolutely crazy on eBay.

I am a big fan of Lee Valley for all kinds of tools and neat accessories. Their Veritas line of planes is pretty cool, although I do not own any -- yet. When Lee Valley puts the planes on sale, or discount their gift cards, and then offers free shipping, people go nuts buying them.

My wood tool acquisitions over the past couple years has been Festool. Expensive, but nothing like I've ever used. I decided not to upgrade my table saw, and instead bought their track saw. Nothing like it for knocking down sheets of plywood for cabinets. My last purchase was the Domino, to replace a biscuit joiner. Again, nothing like it.

OK, I kinda got sidetracked, but we all get wrapped up in getting some particular item and occasionally look the other way when we see a high price. For me, the item I fear seeing is a Maxi Pershing on eBay. I do not think I'd have any will power!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp