View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-105
Gotta agree with you. One of my favourites (okay, probably my #1 all-time fav) is the SSV Scorpion. Fibre/cardstock parts made it possible.

Loved the Centuri Super Series! For those alone I'd have to say they had the best exotics. Would love to see them come back.

What weird timing.....I had the instructions for this kit out last night mulling over whether to put this vintage kit into the build que and I had the same thought: not sure that kit would have been possible without fiber parts, at least on some of those fin/wing cuts.

I didn't dislike the fiber parts as a rule; in many cases they worked pretty well. The one attribute about them that I did not like was the different 'edge' left by the die cutting process. Actually, the die side of the cut was pretty clean with no crunching that could sometimes happen on balsa. BUT, the backside of the cut sheet sometimes had some pressure deformations (for lack of a better word) on the fiber board facing that would require some sanding and cleanup to look as smooth as the opposite side of the board.

That was not a universal issue but I did find it a bother at times (a vintage Excalibur build a few months ago diplayed this issue on the fiber fins). Otherwise, I overall did not mind the fiber stuff.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970