Thread: Semroc
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Exotic and slow moving kits might be done as group orders sold via the web. That is, with today's connectivity via the forums, a vendor could propose a particular kit, give a minimum quantity and time frame, and then ship products a couple weeks later, assuming the minimum is met. That's basically what Gordy did with this kits, right?

I don't completely agree with you there. This low buck JIT model may make logical sense, but then none of the ventures that follow this model have any staying power. Customer service is where it is at. Companies like Semroc, eRockets, ASP, and Apogee raise the bar for customer service. And that's where the current successful business trend in this hobby (and others) has gone and finally brought us. eRockets and Apogee are going to be or are putting their children through college with their businesses. Others aren't really making a living dabbling around with some kit offerings, and most will even tell you that they are not out to make a lot of money. And I'm not saying that dabbling around with some kit offering is a bad thing. We enjoy some nice products from the small mfgs. It's just not a business model that has a long term viability.

Sure there will always be people who generate a lot of interest in some product with some sort of "group order," for people willing to wait around forever to get their order. There's room in this world for this sort of hobbyists serving other hobbyists approach. But I'm done with the vaporware rocket companies of this world. I'd rather pay a realistic price for a real product and receive that product in a few days. In only rare cases will I agree to plunk down cash for an IOU.
-W
MTMA Section #606 President