Thread: Centuri Motors
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
This is a bit of a foggy memory, but I remember Damon was experimenting with using the casings instead of the ink to color code the motors (green for single stage, purple/upper, red/boosters) for the expanding hobby store market. At least I remember only seeing these colored casings in a particular hobby store in Athens.

Who knows? maybe their casing supplier was just short handed on regular kraft paper and sent them these instead. I have a couple of Estes mini booster motors made in spiral wound glassine covered casings, and I have a whole bag of green casing Centuri mini-B motors.

I inquired with two very reliable sources and here is what the answer is to the green motors.

The casing supplier ran out of paper and couldn't get any in time to meet the Estes demands. They did have stock of blue and green paper that had been used for the engine shipping tubes ( I believe that was the Northeatern Paper Tube Company?), so, in order to keep up with customer demands, that was what was used for the engine casings. Same material, but colored.