View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I was never fortunate enough to have one of the original Mars Landers, but grabbed a couple Outlanders when they came out. I was never sure why Estes had chosen such awful colors and decals for it, so I decided to build mine like a Mars Lander. And then I found out that Excelsior had "Mars Lander-like" decal sets for the Outlander. (This Outlander is heavily modified with styrene panels, add-ons from other plastic models, and a 24mm motor mount.)

I had always thought the Mars Lander color scheme was white body and red legs. But for some reason I went with Testors Light Aircraft Gray. The legs are some flat red I had at the time. The build on the right is the Semroc Mars Lander, started a couple years ago, and then shelved with a lot of other projects. For this project I chose Testors Competition Orange,which is close in color to how I remember the Estes International Orange. I still have not decided if I will go with a white body, or stick with the light gray, since I tend to kind of go off the rails at times on "standard" color schemes.

Wow! Good color choice! That actually looks really good!

Joe