View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Since Quest and Aerotech are believers in motor clips, they could make 3 lengths with current clips. 1.75", 2.75", 3.75". Furthermore they could make a version even longer that simply sticks out the back a bit and, gag, use the U.S. Rockets motor retention method for longer motors.

All our 18mm kits and conversions are compatible with any length motor.

I once bought a batch of 24mm E motors from Aerotech that didn't fit in standard motor tubes (BT-50, BT-9).

I am concerned we may be seeing that again with the Q-Jet brand motors.

From BMS I clipped the BT-20 clone tube dimensions.

T20-34 .736x.710x.013x34 Estes 18mm

0.710" ID

From the published spec sheet the new motors are 0.703" (presumably inclusive of the label), or total clearance of 0.007". This could be an issue in a well used tube or a humid launch site. Estes motors because they are pressed are thicker at the nozzle end than the ejection end and that small taper makes insertion easy. Maybe version 2 will have a slight bevel at the ejection end of the case.

From the document in post #15. News release at NARCON.

A couple of the cool things about the motors is they seem to be glue free (except label) and use the same cases for all SKU's.

I wonder if the nozzles are molded in as a 2nd op? Quest motor machine for new motor assembly?

Jerry