View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse Eh!
Interesting conceptual drawing, and the spelling of some of the various components/features in the drawing is likewise interesting. Is that "Ye Olde Rocket English"?
While a drawing like this may evolve into an engineering drawing, or perhaps catalog art, I see it, at this stage, as being used to start the board room discussion.

It's sort of a Powerpoint slide, 40 years before anyone heard of Powerpoint The bulleted list at right is both the design requirements for the launch pad as well as the features list for the catalog.

From the drawing, it's apparent that the pad can be easily assembled and disassembled for storage or transport. And the trusses give it a high tech look. So tje pad has both visual appeal and utility.

As for the battery arrangement, I noticed all 8 D-cells appear to be pointing up - not sure what combination of series and parallel that will produce

Seriously, compared to the later plastic tri-pod pads, I like the idea of having the weight of 8 D-cells helping anchor the pad. The plastic pads are notoriously light and often need staking down. But they are inexpensive to produce, and light for shipping - perfect for starter sets back in the day.

Doug

YORF member #11