Thread: Renegade-D-to-C
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Master Modeler

Default Renegade-D-to-C

A few years ago I bought an Estes "Renegade-D". This was a re-work of what was originally a two-stage kit. There were reports of instability and scary flights to Estes took out the second stage motor mount, made the remaining motor mount 24mm, and changed the directions so you glued the stages together.

Well!

I took this as a challenge. All those fins! Two body tubes! A coupler! How could I not turn it back into a two-stager? It should fly stably o a C11-0/D12-0 to B6-6 / C6-7.

Mods:

* I put a 18mm mount in the second stage.

* Added vent holes to the lower stage centering rings.

* I swapped two of the upper stage fins for trapezoidal fins from an Interceptor kit. (These were provided by Frank Burke, who uses Interceptors as raw ingredients for his boost glider models.) This made the upper stage look more space plane like.

* Added a launch lug to the under-surface of the booster stage.

* Will add fake nozzles to the bottom of the "fuel tanks," which look more like boosters to me anyway.

* Will add little "cosmetic" canard fins to the upper stage.

Right now I'm filling and sanding the lower stage fins. Easier to do that before they get glued on.

I'd be open to suggestions on how to best glue the fin tip pods to the large booster stage fins.

Pictures later.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM