Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
When you mention the cut down Mustang this is what I think of...

Like i said earlier, the best thing about the Mustang II was Jill (Farrah).
Old 08-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Now they're doing the same thing with diesels... and like then, it's gonna take them about 10 years or so to work the bugs out of it and start making a decent electronic injected pollution controlled diesel engine that's worth a crap... maybe longer... diesels have been computer controlled for awhile now, but the pollution crap has sent them back to square one from what I've seen... probably won't see a truly decent diesel that can compete with the old 80's and early 90's diesels for power, economy, and RELIABILITY (longevity) for another 5 years or more IMHO...
Later! OL J R

It's not just road going diesels. Agricultural and industrial are getting hammered by the EPA too. It's just plain wrong to have to put a DPF (diesel version of a cat) or diesel exhaust fluid in a tractor. Mahindra now has a small tier 4 engine that doesn't use a DPF, but they spent millions designing it. I'm surprised one of the big hitters in diesel like Yanmar or Cummins didn't do it first.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Mahindra now has a small tier 4 engine that doesn't use a DPF, but they spent millions designing it.
Does it use the VW method? <vbg>

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Does it use the VW method? <vbg>

Doug

We tractor folk don't have to get inspected every year so I doubt it. I don't know if special engines get submitted or if they are off the production line. The engines do burn clean. They smell a little right at startup. After that you could probably kill yourself in an enclosed barn with carbon monoxide because there is almost no diesel smell to warn you about your stupidity after it warms up.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
When you mention the cut down Mustang this is what I think of...

Randy
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
Attached Thumbnails

Nice hood ornament, but it's still a fugly car... LOL

Later! OL J R
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It's not just road going diesels. Agricultural and industrial are getting hammered by the EPA too. It's just plain wrong to have to put a DPF (diesel version of a cat) or diesel exhaust fluid in a tractor. Mahindra now has a small tier 4 engine that doesn't use a DPF, but they spent millions designing it. I'm surprised one of the big hitters in diesel like Yanmar or Cummins didn't do it first.

Which is why the older stuff is now bringing more USED than it sold for NEW in some cases, and in others the resale value is VERY, VERY high compared to what used tractors and equipment USED to bring... NOBODY in ag wants the Teir 4 stuff, but they're stuck with it. Guys farming a bazillion acres and flipping tractors and combines and stuff every two years (once the warranty runs out they generally flip them for new, as they've probably run up close to 2,000-3,000 hours, or sometimes more, anyway... They're getting hammered because 1) not many people want to buy USED Tier 4 stuff because without warranty, a breakdown can be DISASTROUSLY expensive, so 2) the lowered demand is causing lower resale prices for that equipment to get it to move AT ALL, and the dealers and company is passing that on to the farmer, and 3)prices for new machinery are hitting STUPID EXPENSIVE proportions to pay for all the extra gobbledygook on the machine that SERVES ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER TO GETTING THE JOB DONE, other than pleasing a bunch of environmental pencil necks that should all have to grow their own food or do without IMHO...

Guys in fleet maintenance dealing with semis also point out that the new stuff is COMPLETE GARBAGE. Gone are the days when a new semi was, with proper preventive maintenance, good for a million miles before a major overhaul. At the rate and severity of the problems they're seeing with the pollution controlled diesel semi's, they'll be lucky to get 300,000 out of it before a major overhaul, and the truck will about be ready for the scrap heap by a half million miles or so, because at that point it will cost more to fix than it's worth. Welcome to disposable *everything* which is the mantra in America today...

One thing's for sure... you can find 40, 50, even 60 year old tractors still WORKING on farms TODAY-- not just parade tractors or restoration projects, REAL WORKING TRACTORS doing REAL WORK on REAL farms... This pollution controlled electronic CRAP they're building today will all either be in museums or the scrap heap in 20 years... it'll be too far gone to fix and too expensive to fix.

Later! OL J R
Old 08-28-2017, 09:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
What? No black and gold screaming eagle on the hood?? LOL "We've spotted the Black Trans Am-- it's the Bandit!"

We're watching "The Rockford Files" on Firestick TV at the moment and I'm taking a shine to that Gold Pontiac of his... nice car!

Later! OL J R

J R, It had the screaming eagle on the hood.
On the intake, it had 400 on the left and 455 on the right. I would drive on the right hand lane on the city main drag and would wait for someone who didn't know my Trans Am to race them. After I won the race, I would pull up to them on their left side showing the 455 on the intake.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Old BAR

I used to enjoy eating 455 Trans Ams for lunch with my 325 HP BMW. Such a sleeper. On the track as well as the street. Used to laugh at the Super Duty (SD) logo...more like super slow!
Allen
Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
J R, It had the screaming eagle on the hood.
On the intake, it had 400 on the left and 455 on the right. I would drive on the right hand lane on the city main drag and would wait for someone who didn't know my Trans Am to race them. After I won the race, I would pull up to them on their left side showing the 455 on the intake.

Like! OL J R
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Thankfully in Michigan we have ZERO non-commercial vehicle inspections for ANYTHING including emissions or safety.

The Mustang II always was and always will be a useless TURD.

Some of you need to stick to what you actually know. I'm an industry insider and NO GTO in stock trim would run even close to a 1970 LS6 450hp 454 Chevelle SS. NONE.
A 1970 Ram Air IV Judge was close, but the only car STOCK out of the Chevelle, GTO, Buick GS Skylark, and Olds 442 W-30 that would run a 1/4 mile under 13 secs was the Chevelle LS6. This is RIGHT from the corporate GM numbers.
The real performance order of the bunch is 1) Chevelle LS6-454, two-way tie for 2nd of GTO RA-IV and Buick GS-Stage1, then the Olds 442 W-30 which is barely an 'also-ran' compared to the other three. The Olds motor was a real turd and needed many $$$ to be competitive with the other three.

The closest GM muscle-car to the 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 was actually the 1973 SD-455 Trans Am and Formula Firebird.

My modern 430 (factory) NET-hp C6 whips them all and is daily-driven. It runs in the 11's for 1/4mile when properly driven, tops out at over 190mph, and gets 30+mpg on the freeway at over 80mph. The REAL muscle-car era is NOW.

Anyone with a 325hp BMW that beats a SD-455 Trans Am has an exceptional BMW against a TIRED 455 SD. If this was in a 1/4mi drag the 455-SD was DEAD TIRED.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !