Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 05:40 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ
The link was on ebay, looking for "Prusa I3 Mk3 diy kit 3d printer". They start at about 127 to 150.

What I learned from that is there are a LOT of companies trying to cash in on the Prusa I3 name that have printers in that price range.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Craftsman

Started work on smoothing out the Centuri Screaming Eagle fin can. I started with some medium grit sanding in between a few coats of laquer sanding sealer. It does not soak in like on balsa wood at all, but it does build up and fill in the little cracks from the printing process and is sandable. I am moving to fine grain and will probably spray a coat of gray primer once I get it sufficiently smoothed out. Got most of the printing artifacts smoothed out, but turns out to be just as much or more effort than sealing balsa grain. Time to put an order together for a body tube and nose cone.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP
Does the Vanguard Eagle booster have any kind of recovery, other than tumble/ballistic? What size chute does the sustainer use? Would be interested in body tube sizes and lengths too.

It's a tumble/ballistic recovery. The chute is the standard Dr. Zooch "trash bag" chute, same as every other Dr. Zooch kit.

I'm in Indiana at the moment, so I can't do any measurements til I get back home... probably be a couple weeks at least.

Later! OL J R
Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Craftsman

After the sanding sealer, lots of sanding from medium to fine, 1st coat of gray, sanding most of it off, 2nd coat of gray, 400 grit smoothing out most of the printing artifacts, and first light coat of blue...starting to look like a fin can. I have been wanting to reproduce this rocket for a while, and thought about the Semroc Stellar Spartan, but that does not have the plastic fin can. I think this one will not match exactly, but will be a very close reasonable facsimilie. The hard part will be metallic stickers/decals.

So, I will be ordering some parts for this and the Vanguard Eagle to try to complete those kits from the 3D printed parts you provided and try to do them justice.

You were asking for additional ideas. NASA is launching an Orion Ascent Abort Test next year, l like to think of this as the Little Joe III. There are a few pictures on the NASA web. Not sure what the best size or scale would be for the Orion nose cone and tower, to be somewhat consistent with an 18mm or 24mm motor mount like the Estes Little Joe and Little Joe II kits. Maybe you can take a stab at it. The tower is much simpler, but has some exterior and interior nozzle details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HK9G7feXEk

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-m...unch-abort-test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_8213.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  122.2 KB  

Last edited by GlenP : 10-19-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:27 PM
Craftsman

Glen, were you thinking in the 1/35 scale range?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:06 AM
Craftsman

That should keep it near 2” dia or C power, hopefully. Sounds about right.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 PM
Craftsman

Actually, a 3” dia 24mm power version would be cool... Orion is a tad bit bigger than Apollo.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Craftsman

What are you thinking of doing for fins?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:51 PM
Craftsman

probably just some simple square gray or white fins, like on the Zooch Mark II
https://www.rocketreviews.com/review-797136.html

I would just extend the body tube and paint the fin can portion gray. Could possibly do a ring fin or a cone fin also. Alternately, could be friction-fit/removable for display like the Zooch flame fins on other kits. Would put the fin can in place of that tripod launch pad in this picture. If you have an idea, feel free to model one up for it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LittleJoe3b.png
Views: 27
Size:  42.9 KB  

Last edited by GlenP : 10-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Craftsman

For the Centuri Screaming Eagle nose cone, I found a ThingyVerse file, but will probably just order the balsa equivalent from eRockets.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:576222

http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-bals...-rounded-ogive/

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kf-3.htm

The fin can is looking good, was shooting my final top coat, and got a bug on one fin. So, I will have to let that dry and sand down again for another final top coat.