Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Angry "Uberfast" deployment velocities

I ran into difficulties with my "Prometheus" design having excessively high deployment velocities on "B" motors. The attached "Retrograde" design suffers similarly.

Do "all y'all" think these are just occupational hazards of this particular size (ST-10 with 18mm mount), or *what?*

In other words, if you have any suggestions for fine-tuning this design, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Retrograde_00.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  21.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Retrograde_01.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  125.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Retrograde_02.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  135.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Retrograde.rkt (70.5 KB, 104 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

I added one ounce of mass located in the ST-730 body tube just aft of the bulkhead and it dropped the rocket's optimal delay to 3.9 sec and it's velocity at deployment to about 11 ft/sec. I also changed the rocket's finish from 'polished' to 'gloss' to reflect the typical 'high end' finish that about 90% of rocket builders can achieve at best. Actually most will build to about a matt finish (filled and spray can painted) for sport launches.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Forest Sprite

Have you tried it on a B6-6?

The "optimal delay" in RockSim is a moving target. Don't take the figure that it gives you for Bx-4 motors at face value. To zero in the true optimal delay for a given motor, you need to sim the launch repeatedly with that motor while working through a whole range of delays, including delay times that aren't actually available. At some point the delay that RockSim recommends will reach a plateau, and simming the launch with ever longer delays won't cause it to budge from that number.

Mark K.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 03-19-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Jay,

First thing I notice is that the rocket is still travelling upward at deployment, so that lets you know the delay values are short, and as Mark said, the optimal value is a moving target. However, it does give you a target range to work toward.

Notice that the A8-3 and C6-5 values are close to perfect. They are still moving upward, but they're closer to the right Dv than the B4-4 and B6-4. What you want to do is shift the A8-3 and C6-5 flights until the model is heading downward before they deploy. Since you cannot adjust the delay times, you have to adjust the Dv.

How? Shifting the Dv is also a product of how much drag the model has. Increase the drag slightly, and the model will begin to arc over sooner. What you want to achieve is to have the A and C engines deploy just after apogee, and the two B engines just before.

Scale up the fins a couple of percent and try running the simulation again. See my attached image for the simulation runs I got. I tried to bump the scale up slowly until I came into range, and the resulting scale factor was 25%. YMMV...

A8-3......220'......Dv 3 FPS
B4-4......517'......Dv 14 FPS
B6-4......525'......Dv 19 FPS
C6-5......816'......Dv 10 FPS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Retrograde Mk II Simulation Runs.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  145.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Retrograde Mk II.rkt (70.6 KB, 93 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Mas bueno! ("Better!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001
I added one ounce of mass located in the ST-730 body tube just aft of the bulkhead and it dropped the rocket's optimal delay to 3.9 sec and it's velocity at deployment to about 11 ft/sec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Notice that the A8-3 and C6-5 values are close to perfect. [SNIP] Increase the drag slightly, and the model will begin to arc over sooner. What you want to achieve is to have the A and C engines deploy just after apogee, and the two B engines just before.

Scale up the fins a couple of percent and try running the simulation again. YMMV...
Randy and Craig (and Mark ),

Thanks for your input! I basically ended up adding a bunch of nose weight by swapping out the SE-10 screw eye with two SE-14's (in appropriate places) and a couple of WL-7 washers. That leveled out the deployment times, but obviously cut back on the altitudes.

I'm thinking if I do the same thing to my Prometheus, I might have to eliminate my tag line about "High Performance."

Craig, I was using Carl's standard "Recruiter" fins, so I decided that (British accent) "my talents lie in other directions." (A Bit of Fry and Laurie)

Herewith, "Retrograde" version 2.

Thanks so much, guys! I appreciate the help!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Retrograde_01_v2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  128.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Retrograde_02_v2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  135.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Retrograde_v2.rkt (75.1 KB, 91 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

I thought I recognized those fins from somewhere...

But you understand what I was working toward, right? Slowing the rocket down just a tad by way of drag instead of by mass. Adding mass can bite you -- it makes the model fall faster, even under the parachute, which means higher impact V with the ground. By using drag, the increase in mass is minimal, so the descent rate remains lower.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635