Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Master Modeler

Default RS9 Upgrade

I realize the upgrade to RS9 is now available..And at $40 not a bad deal...However, I recently had a hard drive crash(which of course is where I had RS8 installed..) and lost my license file..I had to re-install windows and the pain associated with drivers/etc..I installed RS8 again from the file I saved that was on my secondary drive(which is now my primary drive) after I had purchased the license..I thought for sure I had saved the license file there but, no

I sent off a request when in the installation process it asks for that info..Haven't heard back..I know I purchased RS8 this year(2008) just not sure WHEN..Should I send another e-mail directly to Tim or just give more time? I believe I still have 30 days as I just today used the new install of RS8 for the first time..

Maybe I am also blind, and I DO have the license file on this HD..What file extension should I look for??

Will continue to hunt thru the files and see..I guess I will shoot an e-mail to Tim tomorrow anyways..

EDIT: Well, after taking a look at the 'properties' of the file I downloaded after purchasing the license it appears it was in Sep 2007 that I bought it.. Wonder how hard it will be to look up that info and get a new license to me??
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Try searching for "RockSim_8.ilf"
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 AM
rosko_racer

pantherjon : I feel your pain. In anticipation to reformating my HD and rebuilding it I made several copies of the license, one was place in my secondary HD. I even sent a copy to myself via e-mail. Never know when your HD decides do go on vacation and you loose it all. I always backup to a secondary HD. I hope you find your license. I think you can ask Tim but I believe there is a fee to generate a new license... something around the $10 range I believe...

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Do a "full body search" for *.ilf, and if it is there, you'll find it. Make additional copies of it and put some onto a CD for off-line safety.

As for how difficult it is to get a new license, $112 would help...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
BAR

Yeah, I saved mine to a DVD-ROM when I got it. I like having stuff that I can hold in my hand, because I'm old fashioned and just don't trust electonic media for storage

When I was having trouble with my computer AND rocksim and was getting tips/instructions from Tim, and had my BIL do a wipe of my hard drive and reinstall the entire OS on the computer from the master disks, somehow or another it remembered the license file and installed from the disk without it. I asked Tim about it and told me basically it stores the license file somewhere 'durable' on the hard drive that EVEN THEY aren't sure exactly where and so it 'remembers' the license file once it's been installed on a particular computer, even if you uninstall and wipe everything out to fix something... wierd...

I don't know about a hard drive crash though... best bet would be ask Tim... but the extension someone listed above is correct and it SHOULD show up on a search or something... LOL

Good luck! OL JR
Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Forest Sprite

I saved my license file to CD-ROM as well, because you never know... No moving parts to fail, and a magnet can't erase it. (I think that Apogee recommends saving a copy of the file to removable media in either the installation instructions or in a Readme file.)

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Master Modeler

Tried all I could...Searched for Rocksim_8.ilf, and *.ilf to no avail...I thought for sure I had saved it to the secondary hard drive after I got the license file, but I guess not..I know I should have put it on a CD, but it was one of those things I kept putting off..If it costs $10 to get a new license file, so be it..I sent an e-mail thru Apogee's website with stated intentions of an immediate upgrade to v9 if I could get the license file..Will see what happens..
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Rocket Scientist

I've found Apogee to be fairly understanding with license file problems; a couple years ago I wanted to transfer RS8 from our desktop to my new laptop, but initially couldn't track down the license file. If I remember correctly, they offered to send me another one, but I think I did eventually find it. Not sure if it'll still work that way, just sharing experiences
NAR#77967
http://www.Semroc.com
Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 PM
BAR 13790

I wanted to download the trial version of RS9. I would order it but I had it on my Christmas list and we had to postpone getting together with the inlaws until mid-Jan due to the various storms.

The Apogee site indicates the free trial version won't be available until early Jan. Guess I'll have to keep limping along with V8.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

I dont know enough about computers and drives. Why would it be better to save it to CD as opposeed to a jump drive ?

Jim