Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I didn't mean to say those motors used fuses.
Scott,

I understood what you meant. But I have to admit the igniters are one of the most intriguing aspects of the kit. They look much shorter and are packaged much differently from the ones included in the much later version of Rock-A-Chutes I wrote about in this thread.

It's hard to imagine you could bend them in half as shown in the instructions and get them to slide into that tiny nozzle.

I wonder if anybody here remembers using these kind of igniters?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Scott,

I understood what you meant. But I have to admit the igniters are one of the most intriguing aspects of the kit. They look much shorter and are packaged much differently from the ones included in the much later version of Rock-A-Chutes I wrote about in this thread.

It's hard to imagine you could bend them in half as shown in the instructions and get them to slide into that tiny nozzle.

I wonder if anybody here remembers using these kind of igniters?

I kinda vaguely remember them...it was 52 years ago!

THAT! was my first kit!

Simply beautiful!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Scott,

The instructions clearly show electrical igniters. The igniters in the box are packaged in foil and only the ends are visible (really hard to see in the photo below). I can't tell if what's in the package is really short strips of wire covered with pyrogen, like the instructions seem to indicate or if these are short pieces of fuse. My impression is that they are really electrical igniters as shown in the instructions because if they were fuses they're really, really short. Also, the stickers to hold the igniters in place, as shown in the instructions, are included in the box.

Another interesting aspect of reading the instructions is that they have directions on how to build your own electical ignition system, the only significant part not included in what was obviously meant to be a starter kit.

I thought they were probably just repackaged cut lengths of Jetex "wick" (fuse). Can't tell from your photo. You could use them as fuses, but you could also force some current through the core wire. The box of Estes-manufactured Rock-A-Chutes I have did not have any igniters.

It's nice to confirm that the instructions in the NARAM 50 repro kits are exact reproductions of the originals (except that yours obviously shows the rubber nose cone vs the maple nose).
More interesting though is the extra documentation (or really, promotional material) that Bill didn't include in the repro kits.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

VERY nice pictures !
Thanks for posting them !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

REally great pics Gus.
Thansk for sharing.

Terry Dean
Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Wow -
What everybody else said!
Thanks for posting all the pics.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I'm a little late for the party here.....sorry!.....I got an MMI Aerobee-Hi for my birthday back in the late 50's, I believe it came with three motors instead of six, but it was to long ago to be sure. The igniters that came with it were basically a piece of Jetex fuse bent into a V-form that went into the nozzle and held in place with an adhesive disk(like the parachute disks). The ends of the igniters were stripped to expose the copper wire core were alligator clips would be attached.
Since I was to young and impatient, when I saw the igniters I just used a length of Jetex fuse to launch it. Jetex fuse was readily available at the time, so if it were bought in bulk a lot of igniters could be made cheaply. It's also my understanding that the original motors were produced by a fireworks manufacturer, so it all seemed to start from existing technology of the day and developed from there.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Motors in the kit are the Brown Manufacturing motors which preceded the motors produced by Vern Estes. Very different nozzles.

Contents of the motor box included 6 motors, instructions, 6 disposable body tube liners, and 6 paper parachute protectors. Interestingly, in the kit box are small square pieces of brown paper which the instructions indicate were to be placed over the end of the parachute protector to further shield the parachute from the hot ejection charge.
I have made and used copies of the cross-shaped typing paper body tube liners that Stine illustrated in the early editions of his "Handbook of Model Rocketry," and they work very well. To ensure that a possibly-smoldering one didn't reach the ground hot, the liners could also be made using two or three plies of flame-proofed art tissue. The nice thing about the liners is that since they completely encapsulate the bottom and sides of the folded parachute or streamer, melted spots on 'chutes and streamers (and singed shroud lines and streamer attachment lines) almost never occur when the liners are used.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR