Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Default Langford:Aerovisions

Do you remember John Langford?

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...uma-uav-050712/

AV is making bank.

I think I have that right, double check welcome.

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 05-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

I don't believe John has anything to do with Aerovironment.

John's company is Aurora Flight Sciences.

Aurora, among other things, also does some small UAVs and their Skate small unmanned air vehicle system (SUAS) is very cool. Watch a video about it here.

John is also the manager of the U.S. Spacemodeling team.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Aurora, among other things, also does some small UAVs and their Skate small unmanned air vehicle system (SUAS) is very cool. Watch a video about it here.

Gus,

Yep it all checks out on your facts.

John is still a millionaire ... and just think, it all started when he was a kid and he road a bus to NARAM back in the day; that was John's story IIRC when told at the 50 year Rocketeer's reunion at NARAM 50 ... maybe some one who was also there and listened can verify my facts?

Interesting, I was watching FOX news this morning and they had the singer from Twisted Sister ( Dee Snider ) on. He stated that he didn't do drugs or booze, but woke up one morning with all his money gone and at rock bottom.

In High School, I math tutored a then varsity football jock by the name of Gaston Green:

Very handsome guy, light complexion, hazel green eyes (yes he is black, and was VERY , no EXTREMELY popular with the girls... I was not! ).

I made him promise me that if he ever made it to the Super Bowl, he would get me in on the sideline for free for not charging him to tutor him ... well he lasted one year in the NFL with the LA Rams.

Point I am working up to make is that in the end, the long steady 'NERD' road is actually the best road.

I know that in the last 20 years, I have made MORE money than Gaston Green did in the NFL, and I have a feeling that when it is all said and done, I will eclipse Twisted Sister singer, Dee Snider.

This is why , young people need to be steered into professions other than crotch grabbing rap, touchdown/slam dunk sports, and heavy metal bands! Most people are not going to make it big in those professions and those that do, in the end have very little.

There was a report out last week that stated most NFL players are broke and filing for bankruptcy about 10 years after retirement; its just not worth it!

As I type this message, I am sitting back at a desk, with computer, A/C, free food and drink in the break room, making a decent living. No concussions, no torn ACL, no drug overdoses, no drive by shootings, well other types of 'IT drive bys', but the point is that yes the hare has the speed, in the end, the tortoise will finish the race because the tortoise has PERSEVERANCE!

All you people reading this and who are successful in life, KNOW the words I just typed are the truth, but we don't as a NATION, yes you as a parent teach your child, but as a NATION we don't teach this any longer

I just keep on truckin' , think of me as 'Spider Mike'; Pig-Pen , Duck, what's your 20?

Yes, back in 1977, I saw a movie called, 'Convoy'. I wanted to be a trucker when I grew up! Then later that summer I saw a movie called, 'Star Wars', so I changed career paths and chose to be a Jedi Knight!

Jonathan
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

John will be one of the range safety officers at Team America Rocketry Challenge this Saturday

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Sorry for the error. There are model rocket guys who got Aerovironment going too.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Gus,

Yep it all checks out on your facts.

John is still a millionaire ... and just think, it all started when he was a kid and he road a bus to NARAM back in the day; that was John's story IIRC when told at the 50 year Rocketeer's reunion at NARAM 50 ... maybe some one who was also there and listened can verify my facts?

I dunno what John said there at the ORR, but AFAIK his first trip to NARAM (13 in Aberdeen) was with his dad (Judge John Langford, Fulton Superior Court, of Atlanta), and Willard Arbour (later "Willard of 96Rock"). I'm pretty sure they drove. He may have taken a bus out to a later NARAM.

But yes, NARAM and Flashbulb Cluster Ignition and meeting Guppy, Parks, Howard, Harry, and others was where it all started for him. *My* dad was more interested in me seeing and meeting military people at Aberdeen (to me: boring!!!) instead of letting me hang out at the main motel with all the people I'd read about in Model Rocketry Magazine. Sigh. Though I did spend some time watching Bruce Blackistone build the Disaster 17 outside his room.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I dunno what John said there at the ORR, but AFAIK his first trip to NARAM (13 in Aberdeen) was with his dad (Judge John Langford, Fulton Superior Court, of Atlanta), and Willard Arbour (later "Willard of 96Rock"). I'm pretty sure they drove. He may have taken a bus out to a later NARAM.

But yes, NARAM and Flashbulb Cluster Ignition and meeting Guppy, Parks, Howard, Harry, and others was where it all started for him. *My* dad was more interested in me seeing and meeting military people at Aberdeen (to me: boring!!!) instead of letting me hang out at the main motel with all the people I'd read about in Model Rocketry Magazine. Sigh. Though I did spend some time watching Bruce Blackistone build the Disaster 17 outside his room.

Roy,

Its to bad that stories like yours are not recorded and preserved on sites such as this.

Jonathan
Old 03-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

The new Owner of ESTES Industries ! ! !