Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Robert, I'm not sure which hangtag variety you are referring to when you say Estes logo on the left and Damon on the right. Is it the red hangtag from the '71-'72 timeframe in the file posted by Phred above? Those were never used in 'Skill Level' packaging. If you are referring to the red skill level packaging hangtag, that was only used on one bagged kit to signify Skill Level 5, namely the Mercury Redstone kit (a pink one was used for Level 2, and those are very common). Can you enlighten me? As for the special situation for 'K' kits that you refer to, I may already be aware of it but just don't realise it since I have no way of knowing what you are referring to. If you want to email me and give me a subtle hint I will let you know whether I'm aware of it. If not, my curiosity would undoubtedly push me to do the research.

Joe

Joe,

As for the 'skill level', I should have been more precise. I used the term loosly and I apologize for that. The kits that I am refering too, are the kits that have the yellow/red tags with the estes and damon logos and have the 'K' instruction as the header face, and not a 'face card' like the true skill level kits 1972+. Sorry for the confusion. The kits are red/yellow tags, with folded instrictions on one panel of the instructions acting as kit description. Some of the 'Bonus' kits that I have are like that as well as catalog/retail.

What is another rarity are kits that have instruction/face plates listing the D13 as recommended motor! Those are kits with the instructions folded up, and kit picture and motor selection printed on one panel. Those are also hard to come by.

Robert

P.s. All of the Estes kits were shipped with red/yellow tags. As was pointed out, Estes used all the resources at their disposal until it ran out. I don't think back in 1969/70 someone said, ' let's print special limited hang-tags so that in the year 1993, a company called 'ebay', will have these on a yet invented public internet (DARPA did have the nacent internet in place by 1969). No, they just used what was available from their paper suppliers. If the supplier had an overstock of Yellow, then Estes could get a lesser price for it. If there was left over red for hang-tags, the Estes printer would print on that until it was gone. Estes did have an in-house print shop and they used what they could.

There wasn't anything special about the red tag. Why even now I am looking at an Aerobee 300, and Wac Corporal with red tags and estes/damon logos on them. Then there is a Migget and Gyroc with Yellow tags (with 'K' instructions +Estes/Damon logos). So there was at the very least the 300 and the Wac that had red tags also.

P.S.S. I was thinking and I am 80% sure that I have a kit that has a BLUE hang tag with the Ested and Damon logos on them. IIRC, it is a Falcon. Maybe the Estes print shop had some blue left over?!

Last edited by lurker01 : 10-14-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Craftsman

Joe,

I also have a couple of Stingers: http://www.dars.org/jimz/k-53.htm

They came with a BLACK hang-tag with white logos, and a 'K' folded instruction sheet. Just a FYI

Robert
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Estes also made white hang tags with black logos some time in the mid to late 80's.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Estes also made white hang tags with black logos some time in the mid to late 80's.

Not to mention all the kits packaged for Canada and Germany as well. I wonder how many Estes collectors also have the French and German versions of the kits and starter kits in their collections?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Not to mention all the kits packaged for Canada and Germany as well. I wonder how many Estes collectors also have the French and German versions of the kits and starter kits in their collections?

I have a couple French-Canadian items. I have Eastern Europe and German (East) model rockets and Soviet era kits.

Personally, a hang tag, beyond it's condition is a small item when concerning the rarity of a kit. Yes, I know there is a big difference between say an 80s plastic tag formed from the bag and a 1966 Pre-damon yellow tag with the VF-261 on it. Howsoever, there are instances where even newer kits are rarer due to their limited production numbers.

There are several kits from the 80s and 90s that had less than a years worth of production and only a few thousand instances produced, yet they go for peanuts compared to a K kit that was made in the 10s of thousands. 'nuff said, I am spilling the beans and will likely cause more competition for ebay items

Robert
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
GET GOONY!!

I have a few German kits: early 1980's boxed kits. There is a bagged (no hang tag) ESTES kit inside the box, with an additional set of German instructions.

I have an Alpha and an Icarus (I think...). Interestingly enough, the Big Bertha was sold as the 'Astron' in Germany.

You can run across these on Ebay Germany every once in a while.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Re-BAR

Very nice stuff you have there Leo! I didn't know Estes had a relationship with Mattel. Boxes are such a good idea for rocket kits IMO. I have heard that a few were put in boxes for Canada too (bagged for the U.S.), but don't know details.

What are these "French-Canadian" headers? I did notice French on many Estes headers, but just assumed these were the same ones as sold in the U.S. as I did get many of my kits from the U.S. I saved the header/bag/insert of kits I built, a real packrat, but still can't tell much (I thought the price tags might have been revealing).
Old 10-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo

The Estes Command Copter has a white hang tag with Green or Blue logos ... its endless

Robert

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...s75/75estb.html
Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
The Estes Command Copter has a white hang tag with Green or Blue logos ... its endless

Robert

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...s75/75estb.html

Ahhh, but that's not a model rocket, so it doesn't count

But agreed, it's endless