Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Master Modeler

Default X-Wing new or old?

With the new Star Wars movie just around the corner, is there a chance ESTES might release the X-Wing again

I would love to see the MAXI BRUTE with the blown mold fuselage. I'm sure the license would cost to much this time around.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:03 PM
BP Mafia

I can't imagine it. The last batch spent a lot of time in KayBee Toy clearance outlets, and I don't think any of them have been very good from a flight standpoint. (I've never seen one of the Maxi-Brute X-Wings fly, but I've seen pictures of the broom and dustpan recovery. ) My own experience with the Star Wars rockets has been iffy at best. Most of them have enough plastic in them to make them real pigs to get flying on BP motors, but I can't say any of them have been boring.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've got a regular one from the late 70s that flew ok, but the chute tangled on the laser pods so it got retired after one flight. I have a Maxi Brute in an opened box that will hopefully get built but will never fly. I'd like to have new releases of each because I wouldn't feel paranoid about putting them in the air.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I've got a regular one from the late 70s that flew ok, but the chute tangled on the laser pods so it got retired after one flight. I have a Maxi Brute in an opened box that will hopefully get built but will never fly. I'd like to have new releases of each because I wouldn't feel paranoid about putting them in the air.

I think I have five of the little ones in various states of flight readiness/disrepair. My original from 1978 is in pieces in a bag, still unflown after 37 years. Biggest mistake as a BAR was not leaving it just as it was and flying it. I have two of the second gen, all plastic birds, one of which is ready for flight. That should come this fall if I get a weather eye. I have a complete first gen in a display case that I will likely fly as well. Someone did a nice job of building it, and I like the contrast between the balsa and plastic, so I can't see painting it. Then I have the two that I've flown most recently, the "battle damage" second gen that I recently gave up on, and the "70's jet fighter with missing pincher" that I got from the estate of the science teacher from New York. That one flew, and flew nicely, at the most recent NARAM I attended in 2013. Lost one of the small fins, but that's an easy fix.
Wait, that's six. I may have a problem.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-21-2015, 06:45 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

Last year, Walmart was dumping some of the 2 foot X-Wing toys cheap. I passed on them but someone bought them. I thought about converting one but don't have the time for projects any more.
____

Last edited by mycrofte : 10-22-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Master Modeler

Licensed properties are expensive, and there's no guarantee of a win.

Estes COULD make a line of knock-offs.

TYE BRAWLER.

WHY WYNG INTERCEPTOR.

EMPOREAL BATTLE WEDGE.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Licensed properties are expensive, and there's no guarantee of a win.

Estes COULD make a line of knock-offs.

TYE BRAWLER.

WHY WYNG INTERCEPTOR.

EMPOREAL BATTLE WEDGE.

A number of Star Wars ships, speeders, and whatnot over the course of the six movies had engine sounds that were more or less digitized flatulence. Estes needs to do a knockoff with included sound effects. Maybe a Naboo Poofighter!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Launching since 1970.

Who can forget the "Flying Toilet Seat of DEATH" ????

(Trade Federation Battleship)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

The NCR X-Wing kit was pretty cool. I crashed my first one on its first flight by not following the directions for packing the parachute. But, I flew my second one a dozen times before adding it to my "Island of Misfit Toys" collection.

I have a third one still in the box. I guess this is a good time to consider building it.

-- Roger
Old 10-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Flying since 1977

The original X-Wing (1298) flew pretty well until the shock cord broke. Unfortunately, the chute tended to tangle up in the laser cannons.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373