Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Rocketeer

Default Baby Bertha & a Pro Series Patriot Missile...

I haven't built a rocket in quite a while, but I just finished a Baby Bertha while helping my 10 year old nephew build his first rocket.

I also have a Pro Series Patriot Missile kit that I just listed on ebay - here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/AirPigzSNF11GasMoney

I run an aviation website call AirPigz http://airpigz.com/ and even tho I cover all aspects of aviation, (including a little of model rocketry) I'm pretty poor! I'm selling the Patriot to have the gas money to drive from IN to FL for the Sun-n-Fun fly-in. I just recently figured out it was worth a pretty good price.

Anyway, I really enjoyed building the Baby Bertha and hope to be able to keep building some more rockets in the coming years.

Martt
AirPigz
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Master Modeler

Wonderful paint job on that BB!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

I like that color combo. I covered a Sig Somethin' Extra RC plane with those colors several years ago and to this day it has been my favorite covering job.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Rocketeer

Thanx guys -

I found out I'm a lot more patient and have greater attention to detail (and probably better skills) than when I was younger! I was really pleased with how well the whole rocket turned out. I got really smooth fillets at the fins, and then put about 5 coats of the orange on the fins (with sanding) to fill most of the grain. Then I used electrical tape to mask things off to get a super sharp paint edge. I also made sure to just barely get enuf of the blue on at the edge to minimize the paint ledge.

To make fin installation easier than back in the day, I used 5 minute epoxy for initial attachment and then Titebond for the fillets.

I haven't flown it yet, but that'll come before long. I'm a big fan of the old Mean Machine and look forward to building another one of those soon - with some freaky cool paint scheme : )
Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

If you liked the Mean Machine, take a look at the Richter Recker. Great looking Baby Bertha.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/fliski...jason-toft.html

Sandy.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Craftsman

You did a great job on that build...beautiful paint job!!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Rocketeer

@dyaugo - thanx, I appreciate your comment. It actually looks even better in person! I'm hoping to fly it in a week or two : )
Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirPigz
@dyaugo - thanx, I appreciate your comment. It actually looks even better in person! I'm hoping to fly it in a week or two : )

I'm thinking about heading out to the dry lake bed Tuesday...weather should be acceptable and sunny skies