Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2018, 02:21 AM
Craftsman

Default A Farside and Farside-X, K-12 and K-12X

The Farside and Farside-X are classic kits I still see getting built quite a bit. If you want a three stage rocket, one of these will most likely fit the bill.

Moving forward with the K-kits, I've moved to the K-12's.

I started by cutting the parts, including laser cutting the fins. I roto-cast the nose cones with resin, using molds that I had made. An important thing to note is that the Farside-X does not have the same nose cone as the current Big Bertha or Baby Bertha (60MS shape). It has the longer nose cone as the original Big Bertha (60L shape).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  186.4 KB  
Old 05-29-2018, 02:31 AM
Craftsman

The fins for both rockets are the same, so I only included photos for one of the builds. If you want to see the photos for both builds, look at these with your left eye and then look at them again with your right eye. Assuming that both of your eyes work, you'll see that the builds are almost identical at this point.

The instructions for both rockets say to use BFS-20 fin stock which is 2*1/32, or 1/16" thick fins. I decided I wanted thicker fins for these rockets, because I've had the large thinner fins break too easily. I also decided not to switch to basswood. So, I used 1/8" thick balsa fins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  mid stage fins.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  164.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sustainer fins.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  223.5 KB  
Old 05-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Craftsman

For the Farside-X, I needed a transition from BT50 to BT60. I used one of the transition calculators on line, and cut the transition with my laser cutter. All I needed then was some centering rings and BT50 coupler tube, and I had a transition coupler for the body tube to the payload section.

Once everything was together (including 1/4" launch lugs so I could use longer launch rods), I primed with gray primer, sanded, primed again, and sanded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Farside X transition.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  121.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Farside X primed.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  67.1 KB  
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Craftsman

Of course, the classic paint job would be black, yellow, white, and red, for the Farsides.

I followed this plan for the Farside, emulating the paint pattern in the 1964 catalog. Well, that was a black and white picture, so I guessed that the light gray was yellow, white was white, black was black, and the nose cone was red. That's kind of how the later color photos of the Farsides looked.

For the Farside-X, I followed a different plan. I had already built a Farside-X long ago, with a classic-inspired theme, using those same four colors. This time, I needed a difference. So, I got four cans of liquid Rustoleum paint. Brush on, not spray on. The rocket was taller than most buckets I have at my house, so I used the garbage can. I filled it with water, poured the four colors in the water so they floated. I stirred it a slight bit to introduce a pattern. Then, I dunked the entire rocket in the paint/water bath, coating it with a Wavy Gravy pattern. I pushed the remaining paint aside with a paper towel and then pulled the rocket out.

I let it dry for several days, since cardboard likes water.

I posed it with the Farside, and then again as well with the other Farside-X.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Farsides.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  81.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  All Farsides.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  92.8 KB