Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
The LJII is done!

I wish I could tell you that this is a scale masterpiece--but its FAR from it.

Because:
1) the fins look like crap (my fault.)
2) the fins and body don't match in color (predominately my fault, but the body wrap isn't as metallic looking as it should be.)
3) the corrugations on the BT aren't raised to give it dimension.
4) the CA gel blemish on the BT (my fault, definitely.)
5) the fin-to-BT joints look terrible (my fault.)

TBC

I am glad I managed to resist temptation and not order that kit.
  • Instead of 3D printing the entire fin assembly, use built-up fins with 3D details.
  • A printed wrap may seem to be an easy way to a finished model, they always look fake to me. That goes double for the LJII with the corrugated body and the conduit along the side.
  • For what the kit cost, why not decals for the black markings on the capsule and LES?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I have never heard about Apogee providing those. They may be RSR parts.

Nowhere did you mention putting any noseweight into the LES motor or the tip of the Apollo capsule. Maybe those clear panels double as ballast?

I would think that this model needs more weight rather than less to make up for the solid fins as compared to the built-up ones in the original Estes or the Semroc kits.

Bill

No, I didn't mention the nose weight, but when installing the plywood bulkhead into the CM (2) 1 ounce steel washers are epoxied to it--with the screw eye in the center of them. The clear plastic panels wouldn't be good ballast. They're so light it would require my powder scale to weigh them.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Looks great, as USUAL, Jeffy !

I wish we could get Sandman to issue another run of his LJ II kits.

I have wanted one of those for 10 years.
The large Neubauer kit is now out of production...missed out on those too.
I missed the latest Centuri 1/45 scal one on eBay...had to stop at $200 for a partially assembled kit...and offering that was way outta hand.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

jeffyjeep,

Given the limitations of the kit, I think you did a great job. Like Bill said, body wraps tend to look fake, but if done well, and used throughout the kit, they are fine, maybe, for "fun" scale. A great example is the line of kits from Dr. Zooch. They are reasonably priced, and give modelers the opportunity to build of number of different models of real rockets from our past. And build them quickly, and be willing to fly them!

The LJ II kit you built is an odd beast. Highly detailed capsule, combined with low-res body wrap. Your picture in post #27, showing you scraping the thrusters off the body wrap, shows that their images were pixelated. I would have expected highly detailed images for these. Finally, the fins were kind of in-between in quality. An attempt by the manufacturer to produce a detailed part, but instead leaves the user with a part requiring way too much work to get a good, smooth finish.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Old Submariner

Thanks, and you said it perfectly: the kit is a combination of highly detailed and poorly detailed parts. I can deal with the rough 3D printed fins--they just needed a lot more scraping and sanding. I can sand anything (except corundum, carbide, and tungsten.) It just takes time.
As for the BT70, I would have preferred a bare glassine or bare white tube rather than pixelated printed details.

I think I can scratch build a 1/70 LJII that's a little better than this one. Now that I have solid fins to serve as a sample (even though they're mounted) I may try to replicate them in a built up form: heavy cardstock or 1/64" plywood skins over a basswood or spruce skeleton. As for the final round-specific root details of these fins I'll probably scrape them from solid pieces of basswood or spruce.
As for the corrugated wraps: I have to check my supplies when I return home from central GA, but I believe I have a "secret weapon".

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Old Submariner

This is page 2 of the instructions. It explains the origin of the BT70 wrap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RSR LJII page.pdf (357.7 KB, 50 views)

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 08-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Rocket Sparky - Cape Canaveral

Default Thanks for the Feedback

JeffyJeep, thanks for the build thread on my kit. I will use this to improve it in the coming lots. This kit was never intended to be a highly scaled kit but to hopefully look as realistic as possible without a lot of extra detailing and effort by the common builder.

As a builder option, the clear acrylic panels for the LES were my idea that I've used to make the towers a tad bit stronger and the RCS thrusters. I've knocked off and lost many on my Saturn IB and Saturn V builds, so the RCS detail on the wrap give it the "look".

I used George Gassaway's artwork for this kit (with his permission). In the future I do plan to re-draw it with vector graphics.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:06 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-IV
JeffyJeep, thanks for the build thread on my kit. I will use this to improve it in the coming lots. This kit was never intended to be a highly scaled kit but to hopefully look as realistic as possible without a lot of extra detailing and effort by the common builder.

As a builder option, the clear acrylic panels for the LES were my idea that I've used to make the towers a tad bit stronger and the RCS thrusters. I've knocked off and lost many on my Saturn IB and Saturn V builds, so the RCS detail on the wrap give it the "look".

I used George Gassaway's artwork for this kit (with his permission). In the future I do plan to re-draw it with vector graphics.

You're welcome! Thank YOU for making the kit available.

Jeff

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078