Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I know you guys are smart enough to figure this out when building the Saturn V but we supplied the shorter 24mm D size yellow spacer tube instead of the longer 24mm E size spacer tube. This tube is used to place the engine block in the correct location. We will correct this in future pack outs of the kit.

John Boren

Thanks John.

By the way - I got my 2 Saturn's in the mail yesterday - I'm thinking one is going to have to be converted to a Saturn V Skylab...

John
Old 10-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

We have a lot of the Saturn Vs in stock now. Maybe we could stack up the boxes to build a barrier against the hurricane!

We're trying to get the ones already ordered out in the mail today. The USPS might not send carriers out tomorrow since we will probably be facing tropic storm force winds by noon. :-(

-- Roger
Old 10-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
We have a lot of the Saturn Vs in stock now. Maybe we could stack up the boxes to build a barrier against the hurricane!

We're trying to get the ones already ordered out in the mail today. The USPS might not send carriers out tomorrow since we will probably be facing tropic storm force winds by noon. :-(

-- Roger

Stay safe my friend!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
It's been a long time, but seem to I recall talking with Estes at the time (maybe it was Cox, but I think it was Estes) and "lobbying" them to produce the Little Joe II and Nike Zeus (the Little Joe II booster section's mold was lost in a move, breaking when it fell off a truck, and the Nike Zeus molds weren't usable or available for a reason that I can't recall). Similar to how Centuri owned Estes on paper (even though both were run as supposed competitors) before we started seeing "Centuri Corp." on Estes products after Centuri went away, did Estes perhaps already own Cox on paper at that time, before Cox's tooling (some or all of it) was transferred to Estes' location?

Cox products first appeared in the 1997 Estes catalog.
By then Cox was no longer in the model rocket business. Sales of the rockets had not met expectations.

I visited Cox after it moved to Corona, California, in December 1990. I spent several hours in the plant being given a tour by the R & D director. While there I viewed the Saturn V model in it's production packaging. I was allowed to take a picture but I was asked not to show it until the models had actually shipped to hobby distributors.

Estes did not acquire Cox until 1995.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Cox products first appeared in the 1997 Estes catalog.
By then Cox was no longer in the model rocket business. Sales of the rockets had not met expectations.

I visited Cox after it moved to Corona, California, in December 1990. I spent several hours in the plant being given a tour by the R & D director. While there I viewed the Saturn V model in it's production packaging. I was allowed to take a picture but I was asked not to show it until the models had actually shipped to hobby distributors.

Estes did not acquire Cox until 1995.
You are definitely a primary source for this information. Thank you for setting the record straight, and in detail. Also:

Does Estes have any of the Cox RTF rocket molds today, or were they lost in the fire (if they got to Estes' plant after Estes bought Cox)? If they're still extant (and usable, or at least serviceable), maybe an anniversary re-release of the Cox rockets would be financially worthwhile to Estes today. The Cox Honest John, Saturn IB, Saturn V, and Space Shuttle America all flew well with appropriately-high impulse motors (the Cox Honest John wasn't excessively heavy for its size). (The Cox X-15, unlike Estes' smaller "Firing Line" RTF X-15 [it and the Firing Line Banshee and Vampire would make nice re-releases, too, if their molds still exist...], was marginally stable, although a little clay nose ballast would remedy that.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Hi All! I am new to the forum. I have a question. I am building the new Estes Saturn V. How much clay should I put in the capsule? The kit comes with 4 squares of clay but the instruction show using 2 squares. Should I use all 4 squares?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudacrazy72
Hi All! I am new to the forum. I have a question. I am building the new Estes Saturn V. How much clay should I put in the capsule? The kit comes with 4 squares of clay but the instruction show using 2 squares. Should I use all 4 squares?

Thanks

It will fly on a single D12-3 and even an 18mm cluster (3) without adding clay. I don't know about the E12's and larger motors.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:

Thanks

John Boren should be able to give you a definitive answer - hopefully he's monitoring this thread.

What motor combinations are you planning to fly? Be very aware of where the CG should be, based on the heaviest motor you plan to fly in the model.

John
Old 11-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dyer
John Boren should be able to give you a definitive answer - hopefully he's monitoring this thread.

What motor combinations are you planning to fly? Be very aware of where the CG should be, based on the heaviest motor you plan to fly in the model.

John

I was just going to use the motors Estes recommends. I was going to use either a D12-3 or E12-4 for 1st flight and then a E30-4 if all went well.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Red River Rocketry

Quote:
I was just going to use the motors Estes recommends. I was going to use either a D12-3 or E12-4 for 1st flight and then a E30-4 if all went well.

I meant to look last night to see if the instructions indicate where the CG should be. Can you check the instructions to see if this info is there?

John