Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Craftsman

Default Fsi

I just found out about this today. I am not a member of KCAR but check their yahoo group from time to time. From what I can tell ,this is real. There was a craigslist posting ,(its been removed now), for model rocket making machines. "dont want to see it just recycled" contact Larry or Jerry at xxx-xxxx. Aparently Larry had it somewhere. I do not think but do not know for sure did not have it at Gibsons,(nike base). I know that the guy I know that was going to buy it in 95 told me the last stumbling block on the deal going thru was the trailers Larry had everything stored in were not road worthy and would cost to much to move. I tried to contact club but kinda got snubbed. Only help they wanted was moving. If I see or hear anything else, I will let you all know.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Craftsman

Default Return of FSI

Anybody interested might monitor the KCAR yahoo group. I think they might have a facebook but like a lot of you here,"I DON"T DO FACEBOOK". Sounds like some of the equipment is already moved and susposed to move the rest of it this sat. Susposed to be a brand new company with new tooling."out with the trailer trash engineering". My buddy was right when he was telling me what they had left in 95. TON of raw balsa. Stuart said this came from MPC back in the day. Post said marked Midwest. Susposed to come roaring back with new tooling and equipment. Dave L is planning on bringing some of his inovations out according to the post. That sounds good to me.........
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Master Modeler

Being part of the model rocket history, I'm curious to know why all of this stuff sat around for the past 19 years?

How was it advertised and where was it stored all of this time and I'm surprised that it wasn't vandalized in the past 19 years.

This would make for a great chapter in a model rocket history book.

Any authors out there to cover this topic?

If there is to be a rebirth, I wish the new owners success.....
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Craftsman

Default fsi

Friend of mine was going to buy the company in 1994-5 but the deal broke down at last minute. When FSI was purchased by the Reese family in late 60's for incorperation you need 3 officers. They were Lonnie Reese, Larry Reese, and Harold Reese. Lonnie died in a car crash in early 80's, Harold died in early 90's. Larry I think,(this is my personal opinion), just got tired of it. I understand where he was comming from too. He tried to sell to a friend of mine that was working there at the time but the deal fell thru at last minute. As far as I know Larry has had everything in storage since then. All I know is a craigslist ad apeared on jan 3rd 2013 for model rocket motor machine. Two of the guys from the local club made a deal. I am not involved so I can not tell you much more than that. I have been looking for Larry on and off for last several years. Hopefully I will be able to talk to him a bit. Larry has to be early to mid 70's so I am guessing he just figured he had held on to it long enough. (once again personal opinion) I was very lucky to start working for the Reeses as a machinist in high school. My brother had gone to school with the brothers and my dad had worked with Harold years ago. I worked full and part time for them from 1977 to 1986 and consider them friends, not just a employer.
The world, and model rocketry has changed a great deal since the early/golden days of FSI. I have heard a lot of smack talked about FSI but besides the big BP motors we think of, there are a few things behind the scene that very few people know. We probably would not have had the hobby we have if not for Lonnie as well as Myke Berginski (sorry for spelling) and Vern. In 1978 the DOT was getting ready to change motor classifications from class c to class b. That would have hurt the hobby. They kept it from being changed to a class b and got it listed under a special permit to flamable solids. I remember Lonnie telling me that I would make more from the company that year than he did. Im sure you will see several post soon from the new owners somewhere. I do not truely know their buisness plan so anything I would say is speculation. I do know the facts of what was and how it was done with the "trailer park engineering". Their words not mine. remember this was the 60's , not everyone had cnc or even nc or even a decent machine shop at their disposal. Computer control???? In 77' I bought my first computer........ a KIM-1 that was nothing more than a circuit board. I heard of a couple other guys out in calif. about that time that used trailer park technology to build a computer in their garage. Yea we are 13 years into the new millinium and you can order anything you want, usually made in china, and never have to leave your home. Good luck to the new flight systems. They are going to need it in todays market.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons4
Friend of mine was going to buy the company in 1994-5 but the deal broke down at last minute. When FSI was purchased by the Reese family in late 60's for incorperation you need 3 officers. They were Lonnie Reese, Larry Reese, and Harold Reese. Lonnie died in a car crash in early 80's, Harold died in early 90's. Larry I think,(this is my personal opinion), just got tired of it. I understand where he was comming from too. He tried to sell to a friend of mine that was working there at the time but the deal fell thru at last minute. As far as I know Larry has had everything in storage since then. All I know is a craigslist ad apeared on jan 3rd 2013 for model rocket motor machine. Two of the guys from the local club made a deal. I am not involved so I can not tell you much more than that. I have been looking for Larry on and off for last several years. Hopefully I will be able to talk to him a bit. Larry has to be early to mid 70's so I am guessing he just figured he had held on to it long enough. (once again personal opinion) I was very lucky to start working for the Reeses as a machinist in high school. My brother had gone to school with the brothers and my dad had worked with Harold years ago. I worked full and part time for them from 1977 to 1986 and consider them friends, not just a employer.
The world, and model rocketry has changed a great deal since the early/golden days of FSI. I have heard a lot of smack talked about FSI but besides the big BP motors we think of, there are a few things behind the scene that very few people know. We probably would not have had the hobby we have if not for Lonnie as well as Myke Berginski (sorry for spelling) and Vern. In 1978 the DOT was getting ready to change motor classifications from class c to class b. That would have hurt the hobby. They kept it from being changed to a class b and got it listed under a special permit to flamable solids. I remember Lonnie telling me that I would make more from the company that year than he did. Im sure you will see several post soon from the new owners somewhere. I do not truely know their buisness plan so anything I would say is speculation. I do know the facts of what was and how it was done with the "trailer park engineering". Their words not mine. remember this was the 60's , not everyone had cnc or even nc or even a decent machine shop at their disposal. Computer control???? In 77' I bought my first computer........ a KIM-1 that was nothing more than a circuit board. I heard of a couple other guys out in calif. about that time that used trailer park technology to build a computer in their garage. Yea we are 13 years into the new millinium and you can order anything you want, usually made in china, and never have to leave your home. Good luck to the new flight systems. They are going to need it in todays market.

What happened to the building housing all of the equipment? I was surprised to see all of that equipment just sitting out to rust away.
Where were the trailers located?
Any idea on the value of the assets?
What about the patents?
It would be great to see FSI return in a updated fashion, but, as we all know, with the currently federal, state and local regulations on black powder, anyone getting into themotors making business will have challenges to meet.
Thanks for your previous information, all great stuff.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Craftsman

Default Fsi

Flight Systems was originaly started in Louisville,Co. by George Roos George quickly got tired of the hobby side of the buisness and started looking to sell that in late 60's. Enter the Reeses. They bought the hobby side and moved it to Raytown,MO. George was still making the motors at the time and moved to Burns Flat,Ok. Flight Systems functioned out of there till 1980 when a employee was drilling F100-xx and got a hot bit into the propellant. A fire insued. They knew they had to get production away from city for safety concerns. We were already looking at getting away from George because of his quality issues and not shipping engines in a timely matter. Larry had already gone to OK. to help George make new spindles and catch up with production. A new location was found in Lone Jack,Mo. at a old Nike Missle Base. This base was purchased by a Lee's Summit rancher from the goverment after it was de-commisioned in late 60's. As far as I know Gibson still owns the site. Flight systems opperated out of there till 1994-5 when they ceased production. Flight systems leased most of the above ground buildings there. From what I can tell and what I have heard everything other than the engine machines have been setting in several trailers in storage.
Value......whatever someone would pay. Assets....... sounds like everything that was there in 94-95 is mostly there. I am going by what my friend told me that was there then. Like I say, I have NO details of what their buisness plan is but I am sure they will release something soon. I hope they have deep pockets to make it work.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

My dad knew George Roos (Lawton, OK facility) and gave me my first FSI catalog when Lonnie and family took over. Lonnie was the face of FSI but his dad Harold was the money guy and Larry was a modest hard worker. Gary R and I visited Lonnie on the way to NARAM PA. He died shortly thereafter (Corvette crash). Lonnie (and Larry) were leaning against regulations and really had a major positive impact. Mike Berzynski (AVI) also wanted to make large BP solids, and did.

Our rocket club was a SAI dealer and I don't think we carried any motors from them. The nose cones were hardwood and at the time seemed over-heavy.

Funny story. On the way to see Lonnie I stopped at the local Raytown barber shop to get a haircut and chatted with them about the Reeses. They were totally dialed in. Went to Lonnie's house next.

Gary delivered composite G60's (poured, not cartridge loaded) for some movie deal.

Jerry
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Craftsman

Default fsi

Actually it was a light blue Porsche 928. It was his youngest brothers car(Jerry).Haappened on US40 between Blue Springs and M291. He was coming back from a open mic night. Lonnie passing hurt all of us bad. Jerry I remember sold his other Porsche to and got a Saab because it was so safe after that. Harold did put a lot of money into it. For a couple months Harold could not drive, I had to cheaufer him around in his 75 Imperial. They were not getting rich but they pretty much sunk everything back into the company.
I talked to George once. Typical crusty old guy sounded like. (Think Jeff Dunhams Walter). Lonnie and him always seemed to butt heads but Larry and Harold seemed to get along better.
Most of the time I was there Larry was not there a lot. When they brought the company to Raytown, Larry did make some specialized machines. Quiet guy but always thinking. When we started making our own motors ,Larry had already been down to OK trying to help George catch up. He had also made new spindles to take with him when he went. NOTE This was the biggest reason for most of the CATO's especially the E60s at Naram 19) Also in the later years after I left from what Stuart told me.
Jerry if you have any stories your father told you about George, I as well as a lot of us would love to hear them. I think I saw he passed away around 95' I think???
7-8 years ago I got the privlage to talk to Myke Berginski again. He actually had some motor making books on EBAY. I had first met him at PittCon just before I started to work for the Reeses. I wish Myke would write down some of his stories too. Talking to Vern again at Narcon last year was probably the hilight of the whole show. I am sure my wife was wondering why I was giggleing like a little girl around this nice little old man. Last time I had seen or talked to him was at Naram 19. He had a brand new whoopde do engine test stand (4000.00 in 1977 money) that Lonnie had a Thunderbolt with him (rated at a full 80ns) . WOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!! 105ns. of course the display only had a 2 place display. Lonnie was embarassed big time!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Craftsman

Default fsi

Yea ,I cant tell you any about G60 production or application. I could ask Stuart and see. Early/mid 80's we did a ton of movie and goverment stuff but the motors were all BP on those. I do know Larry did have a big contract for G60's with Navy I have head about.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Mike Berzynski (AVI) also wanted to make large BP solids, and did.

Myke is a member here. The correct spelling of his name for Carbons4 and Jerry is Myke Bergenske.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558