Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Master Modeler

Default Is This The End Of Cox?

I just found this review on ebay about Cox gas powered motors.
This review is written by XENALOOK a dealer from Canada
Here is the link, click on the Cox logo for the details.

http://stores.ebay.ca/XENALOOK_w0oo_armrs?1
Old 05-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I just found this review on ebay about Cox gas powered motors.
This review is written by XENALOOK a dealer from Canada
Here is the link, click on the Cox logo for the details.

http://stores.ebay.ca/XENALOOK_w0oo_armrs?1

I'm pretty sure that Cox engine production was halted years ago. I've compared some of the engines at a local hobby shop with the older ones that I have and the newer engines seem to be an almost random collection of parts from various models. I think they've just been running through existing parts inventory for a long time.

Mario
Old 05-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Master Modeler

We talk about how rocketry as a hobby has taken a hit over the years, but I would say the model airplane industry has taken a bigger hit. Go to a local hobby store and try to find a balsa wood plane kit. Most of the junk in hobby stores now is RTF. It is real hard to get kids into building a balsa wood plane. A shame about Cox, great engines and control line planes over the years. I still have my Pt.-19.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
We talk about how rocketry as a hobby has taken a hit over the years, but I would say the model airplane industry has taken a bigger hit. Go to a local hobby store and try to find a balsa wood plane kit. Most of the junk in hobby stores now is RTF. It is real hard to get kids into building a balsa wood plane. A shame about Cox, great engines and control line planes over the years. I still have my Pt.-19.

I guess I'm lucky then. The HobbyTown USA the next town over has a TON of stuff.

I really need to talk to them about rocket stuff though. could use improvement. Maybe I'll convince them to do a demo.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Gas or fuel planes are coming to an end I would guess, except for a few niche companies, they are being replaced by electric. It's not that bad, but until they stop underpowering the electric models, it won't be equivalent.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
Gas or fuel planes are coming to an end I would guess, except for a few niche companies, they are being replaced by electric. It's not that bad, but until they stop underpowering the electric models, it won't be equivalent.

Electric - going green?!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30

at one time, Estes owned Sterling Models, balsa airplanes, but, that was short lived.

And, Shrox is correct, many airplanes are being switched over to electric, one of the reasons is, that, municipalities aren't allowing gas powered planes because the noise issue, and, probably litigation issues as well. Flying areas are a premium just as much as for rockets.

There is a club here in York SC that has a club and they fly HUGE gas powered planes, usually on Sunday afternoon, they sell refreshments and have tables set up under cover for a work area, it's a great place to go.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The hobby shops around me still have TONS of "stick built" R/C airplane kits as well as ARFs that are "stick built", not the cheap plastic park fliers many talk about.
Those "original style" R/C aircraft do not come cheap though.
I still have about 8 R/C planes in flyable condition as well as about 20 kits ranging for engines from .010 to 120 size. Have not flown in about 3 years and dropped my club membership last year.
The only aspect of R/C I never got into that I always wanted to was turbine flying.
WAAAAAYYYYY too many hassles and regs regarding turbines within the AMA.
My homeowners insurance covers ALL model aircraft incidents, no matter the power, no matter where. The AMA should operate the SAME way.
They should be treated just like ANY other engine, period. Many sport pylon aircraft far exceed the top speed of several turbine powered aircraft.
I'm not one that likes to deal with a lot of rules and hassles.

A real shame about Cox engines as they are the engines that started me into R/C.
I still occasionally fly 010 and 020 powered micro R/C stuff in my backyard.
When they were bought out by Estes I knew it was a disaster that would kill the Cox company as I knew it.
It took a little longer than I thought it would.

I have ZERO interest in electric R/C planes or any other "green" activity other than the COLOR green as a paint color. If the plane does not have a FUEL BURNING, NOISEMAKER on the front (or on the inside as a turbine/ducted fan), count me OUT !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
If the plane does not have a FUEL BURNING, NOISEMAKER on the front (or on the inside as a turbine/ducted fan), count me OUT !!!
GH,

At one time, I might have felt that way, but when you look at the positives of electrics, it's tough to argue.

Just getting the gassers started can be a PITA. I don't know how many times I've seen people trying to start one and all they kept getting was Pddddtffftttttt. Pddddtffftttttt. Pddddtffftttttt. With the electrics, connect the battery and go. No hassles getting the motor started, no spilt fuel, no stink on your clothes.

And once it's in the air, no neighbors who're gonna complain about the f#$%^ng chainsaw noises. And because of this advantage, there's another - you can fly it at the local park without having to drive out into the boonies where you won't bother anyone.

I know there's sex appeal in hearing the roar of a gasser, but there's a lot to be said for electrics.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox

Not so underpowered!

20 years ago I had a 54" R/C Citabria with a geared Cobalt 40 motor and 24 ni-cad cells that would turn a 10/6 prop at 6,600rpm and put out 6lbs of thrust.

I bench tested it in my basement clamped onto my workbench...

It scared the begeebers out of me so I sold it!

http://sandmandecals.com/