Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2018, 09:48 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I may never have seen the pink packaged motors (I had some of the old "three motors with wadding" packs, from Michael's Crafts and Wal-Mart). I vaguely recall Estes motors with artistic, multi-color ink, "multi-copy character" printing (of the motor designations printed on their casings) in the 1990s and 2000s; I don't know if those were of the Cobra style.

Not absolutely sure about this, but after Estes went to the striped brown/black (then grey/black) packaging in the late 80's, the motors they shipped to Canada and Europe still used the art from the pink packs but with different colors (green for Canada, blue for Europe). I almost bought a green pack of C6-5 motors in Guelph, Ontario in 1991 when I visited some friends there after NARAM-33 in Chicago.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:34 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Not absolutely sure about this, but after Estes went to the striped brown/black (then grey/black) packaging in the late 80's, the motors they shipped to Canada and Europe still used the art from the pink packs but with different colors (green for Canada, blue for Europe). I almost bought a green pack of C6-5 motors in Guelph, Ontario in 1991 when I visited some friends there after NARAM-33 in Chicago.
Yes, I remember the striped backing cards of those blister packs and (now that you've jogged my memory) the pink ones. I imagine just the various different types of engine packaging (preferably with the original engines still sealed inside them) would make for a rather extensive collection.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-22-2018, 01:55 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
They had regular rocketry clearances since the late 80's. I've recently sold the last little bit of 80's rocket kits I was hoarding from a KayBee sale back in 1988. I wish I knew then what I've known for the past 15 years of eBay and had bought a lot more of it. There were lots of Centuri kits at the KayBee in Athens and I ignored them. I still have a LTV Scout I bought at a KayBee in Guelph, Ontario in 1991, though its torn bag disqualifies it from being much of a collectors item.

My local/closest KayBee mall store was blowing out some Centuri kits in the mid-1980s.
They had dozens of Phoenix Birds and Satellite Killer kits.
Five dollars each.
I only bought one of each.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
My local/closest KayBee mall store was blowing out some Centuri kits in the mid-1980s.
They had dozens of Phoenix Birds and Satellite Killer kits.
Five dollars each.
I only bought one of each.

I found a Goonybird Cloudhopper and a Centuri Mini Dactyl on a clearance table in a Kay-Bee in 1979. I think they were $.99 each. I don't remember anything else being on the table.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Lost his Drifter

The local Kay-Bee mall store was sort of like my "AC Supply" of the day. Always a steep discount available there.

Toys R Us? Meh.... not so much. I scored a fairly good deal on rocket motors there recently, but it was a fluke. Local Toys R Us stores don't usually stock any rocket stuff.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 PM
Old Submariner

The Kay-Bee store at Janaf shopping center in VA Beach, VA was a wealth of rocket kits and supplies in the mid 80’s when I was still on active duty. Kay-Bee and Janaf are long gone now. Janaf was a super long, open-front strip mall—sort of like Frandor in Lansing MI. Janaf was also the home of Chuck Norris’s original karate studio. I saw him at Janaf a couple of times. REALLY short guy! If he wore a blue suit and a white beard he could pass for Papa Smurf.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 PM
CG to close to CP

Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
If they can pull this off (I was heartened to read that they plan to be a full-service online seller as well as a chain of physical stores), this should be beneficial to us. I also heard several radio news reports that an effort to keep Toys"R"Us from shutting down completely (at least some of their stores would be saved under the plan) is also in the works.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Master Modeler

You have to ask:

Which incarnation of KayBee is coming back?

For a decade or so before they faded away, all of the KayBee outlets I was familiar with were seasonal (well, Christmas holiday) pop-up outlets.

It wasn't a full range toy store; lots of popular toys for the holidays, and mostly for younger kids. No hobby items that I remember. So, if there was a model train set, it was a cheap imported set meant for Christmas gift giving, not a Lionel set.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
You have to ask:

Which incarnation of KayBee is coming back?

For a decade or so before they faded away, all of the KayBee outlets I was familiar with were seasonal (well, Christmas holiday) pop-up outlets.

It wasn't a full range toy store; lots of popular toys for the holidays, and mostly for younger kids. No hobby items that I remember. So, if there was a model train set, it was a cheap imported set meant for Christmas gift giving, not a Lionel set.

I heard on the news it'll be of the pop-up/seasonal variety.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558