Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesdal
I'm looking for any and every comment I can find on "Madcow Rocket" products.
Madcow was kind enough to sponsor a contest I ran a few years ago. They gave us a Buzzie. As I recall, it was a 2.6", 29mm powered kit. The materials were the highest quality, and it may have been one of the most complete kits I've ever seen. It included the lead shot for the noseweight, had kevlar for the shock cord, and was high quality all the way around.

They left nothing for the builder to scrounge for, nor would he need to upgrade any of the components as is often the case. It was top notch.

HTH.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
The_Ripper

I have never built a Madcow kit but I did contact Mike Stoop at Madcow to purchase all of the parts (except for the fins) to build my AAA Magnum Nike-Ram 2 clone.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...18&postcount=44

Mike was helpful and cut some of the tubing to the lengths I required. I was very happy with his customer service and he replied promptly to all my requests for information.

I was going to purchase one of his 2.6" Striker or DX3 kits to kit bash it but when I inquired about the tube lengths included in the kits it turned out better to just purchase his parts. I also used his chute protector and kevlar/nylon shock cord set up for my recovery system.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Madcow again based on my experience.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 10-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Master Modeler

I've built a number of Madcow kits and have never been disappointed. Mike provides great customer service, so I've always bought directly from him.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Craftsman

As a hopeless cheapskate I might be inclined to really complain about the pricing but I won't. If the item is too pricy and I can get it from another decent vendor in time I will do that. It is a free market baby! I can pick and choose. If I am in a Prima Donna, super type A "I need it now" mode I would spend a few bucks more and order everything from Apogee because they can deliver with the super high customer service I demand. If I was in that "mode" and bought it from the lowest priced vendor on the web and had to wait 2 weeks for an email response, well, I would just have to be a fool and blow up all over the forums with ravenous complaints and have a Supper Nanny Type One melt down!

Simply put Apogee is the best darn rocket store I know. You won't be building Mad Cow kits forever and a time will come when you need a quality item that only Apogee sells. Then get out your wallet! You can develop a personal relationship with the staff and they will treat you right; I am talking a long term relationship here! You will actually come out ahead in the long run.

Ask yourself, "Do I have what it takes to build a Noris Soyuz?" If the answer is yes then pay 100 clams for that Teutonic monster and DO IT. If No, then spend lots of time looking for a Zooch kit from a vendor going out of business at 40-50% off.

Sometimes I get in the old truck and drive down I 25 to visit in person. That is truely taking the Highway to the Danger Zone! My wallet may be empty but I know I will leave the store HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I ordered a few items from Apogee in the past. If I remember it was a few rocketry books & supplies, along with RockSim and every upgrade. Great customer service and fast shipping. They always responded to my emails pretty fast.

As far as Madcow I haven't had the pleasure of building any of their kits, but they sure do look nice and I have my eye on the 4" Patriot.

NAR# 69972
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
BAR

I have purchased and built 2 Madcow kits. Super DX3 and Cowabunga. Very high quality and great customer service/response to e-mails. Apogee has great products and customer service-not to mention the vast amount of information on their website. I have purchased Rocksim and have personal e-mails from Tim answering my questions. Other purchases, including ordering a North Coast Rocketry kit by phone before they were up on the web, had great customer service as well. In both cases, you get what you pay for.
NAR Section #576 MASA Member