Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Master Blaster & Harley Rider

Question Madcow Rocket kits

I'm looking for any and every comment I can find on "Madcow Rocket" products. I'm also looking for peoples ideas and comments on Apogee rocket products.

I've recently started buying from Apogee (who carries Madcow Rockets) and have found the prices to be very high. I'm not sure what I think of "RockSim".

Please open up, don't be afraid to let me know what you think. I don't embarrass and you won't hurt my feelings. I just want to know what everyone things! I know there are a lot of rocket manufacturers out there and I'm looking for the lowdown on what's what and who's who.

So far, I've been building Estes kits, OOP Estes kits, and a couple of Madcow kits.

Have you hugged your Dalmatian today?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Master Modeler

Should you choose to design and build models that are unavailable anywhere, then Rocksim is a valuable tool. There are equally afficionados of freeware, but I like having a license and a single source to seek answers. As far as Madcow is concerned they are reputable and provide a decent selection of models that are of generally high quality and engineering. The model that I have seen recently is the Bomarc, one that I find to be a very well designed model with plenty of rigidity on the oh so delicate engine pods. I have never built anything larger that there 2.6" models so I am without comment on those.

Apogee produces and imports some very decent scale kits, as well as distributing a number of other manufacturers models. If you read the notes on the Noris kits on the website you should receive an indication of the knowledge and support that Apogee can provide. I have built a couple of the larger Apogee kits and find them to be well engineered and the instructions to be instrucitonal without being overly effusive. The video instuctions can be viewed either way - on the one hand you need to sit and watch the process at least once before you attempt to undertake the step, on the other, you really should sit and watch the process at least once before you undertake the step.

Dependent upon which models you are considering there is a strong probability that there is either someone on the forum here that has built the model or knows of a build thread to review. Rocketreviews.com can also provide an impartial review of models and serves as a repository for those build reviews.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Out to launch...

Pricing on everything is high from apogee, shop around.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Pricing on everything is high from apogee, shop around.

True, prices might seem high, but I think they are relative. For the type of rocket of interest, they compare favorably with the pricing from other manufacturers, namely Semroc. Their customer service is outstanding, and Tim's involvement with the hobby far outweighs just his selling of kits.

To me, Madcow kits are expensive, anyway. That is not to imply they are not worth it, however. They offer some higher-end mid-power scale (or semi-scale) kits that one would be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. Their Seawolf is outstanding. Their Bomarc is nice, too, I hear.
Price a Norris kit and compare it to something similar. Price a Dynastar kit and compare. The Dr. Zooch kits are at retail, I think. Those are all fantastic kits, BTW. I really like the variety Tim offers, also. And he sells other things, too!

I think their prices are reasonable for what you get. If you are looking for lower pricing, Ebay will be your huckleberry, maybe.

I like buying from Apogee, too. They make you feel like you are very special to them (just like Semroc does), a hallmark of good customer service.

Allen
Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Craftsman

just priced a mad cow 4" patriot...at first glance it may seem like Apogee is higher($100) vs madcow's price of $75 until you look at what you get for those prices the Apogee price includes the recovery kit ($24 option). so the two prices are the same for the same items. if you don't need the chute and blast shield then buy straight from madcow...if you want the convience of buying all from one place shop apogee. shipping rates may differ, but not by a whole lot.
rex
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Craftsman

Since you want the low-down and who's who, and you want to know what we think, I'll tell ya.

Apogee is a well respected supplier of a wide range of kits and supplies within the rocketry community. while some prices may seem on the high end, they are one of the best "One Stop' shops out there. To buy kits from many manufacturers and pay only once for shipping is a huge advantage.

Since you want us to open up, and you want to know what we think, I think this is a childish attempt to bad mouth a respected supplier in this hobby and on this forum.

Please take personal vendettas somewhere else.

The three men I admire most
are Curly, Larry, Moe!"

Meat Loaf
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Old BAR

Also, Steve needs to quit using such large fonts to get his point across. Extremely annoying and childish, to be sure.

Allen
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
7/21/61

Apogee also carries a number of products not available anywhere else. Customer service is first rate (which is why NCR just chose them to be their sole vendor). Free educational materials including the newsletters (322 of them) and "How to" videos (99 of them), map of where to find a launch site or club, exceed everyone elses, including the NAR.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Level 5 Certified

I did a "blind survey" of model rocket companies for customer service before deciding who to place the new NCR line with. Apogee and Semroc both provided outstanding customer service.

By the way, if you see NCR kits out of stock at Apogee, that is my fault, not theirs. The kits have sold better than I thought they would. Because of my trip to Europe for the WSMC, I got behind on production. I hope to be caught up shortly. Once I get caught up, the next ones will hit the street.

Matt
North Coast Rocketry
Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Master Blaster & Harley Rider

ED and Allen,

I'm not sure what you think I was asking or looking for. I was asking for everybodys opinion on Madcow rockets and Apogee Rockets. Nowhere did I badmouth either of them. I just wanted to know what other people thought and how they compare to other rocket companies.

I've personally been building Madcow rockets for a while now. I've already built the Bomarc and the Seawolf and have the Patriot waiting on a shelf to start next. I also buy my supplies from them for these larger rockets.

I was only commenting on the price in order to possibly find another company with similar quality that was maybe cheaper.

I'm not sure why my choice of font should bother you unless it's hard for you to read.

Steve

Have you hugged your Dalmatian today?