Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
AL

That drawing looks so old you should submit it to the Smithsonian Institution
Looks like a pretty straight forward rocket to build and makes me wish the F100 was still around to use in the booster. Without electronics it might be best to build it with Semroc 24mm adapters in both stages for Estes D and E's but either way would be cool to build.

But really, thanks very much for posting! Do you remember if that was really the name of that rocket, EnerJet Sonic 36? I have a buddy of mine that has fallen out of rocketry that has a bunch of the old SNOAR News. I need to look him up and see what issues he still has. He joined TRA a year or so before I did and his Tripolitan magazine predates mine so I may see if he'll let those go too because I'd like to have them for reference.

And yes I recognize the Ron Schultz influence on your rocket but I still put horizontal bands on many of my rockets!

I'll let you know if I can get my hands on some old SNOAR news issues and if I run across that plan set. Thanks again for posting the specifics!

I'm assuming that was the name, since that's what I labelled it - of course it might have been called that by who-ever drew it .
side note - since CD used the 'sonics' moniker, has me thinking Gary might have drawn it, or possibly Irvine for CRM, but I;ve not been able to turn it up .
you'll agree with me it is definately the bird BJ Humphries is holding, so does have historical significance, just bugs me to no end to not have the info / source :-(

~ AL
Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Hmmm...

Nice collection, rokitflite! I'll have to lay mine out on the floor like that...never thought of doing it that way - great idea, way cool!

I lost about 30 vintage kits in a basement flood about 10 years ago...since then, I keep 'em sealed in watertight plastic crates.

I didn't happen to see a Centuri USS America...are you missing that SuperKit? I thought I spied an ESS Raven and a couple SSV Scorpions...

I tried the "show my wife the photos" trick, but she replied with, "I've seen your collection boxes and your database of kits --- you have over 700. He's just another rocket goof like you are. The fact that he has a ton of rockets in his collection like you do just proves that you two should be in the same mental ward".

Hey, sounds like EXCELLENT company to me!
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I'm assuming that was the name, since that's what I labelled it - of course it might have been called that by who-ever drew it .
side note - since CD used the 'sonics' moniker, has me thinking Gary might have drawn it, or possibly Irvine for CRM, but I;ve not been able to turn it up .
you'll agree with me it is definately the bird BJ Humphries is holding, so does have historical significance, just bugs me to no end to not have the info / source :-(

~ AL

Just really curious about it but it's a great looking rocket and definitely of historical significance, exactly the types I'm most interested in

I've never seen it before, and yes it's without a doubt the plans for the rocket that BJ Humphries is holding.

Don't feel bad about not locating the source. Every now and then I think of something I read in one of my old Tripolitan magazines. I was trying to help out a buddy of mine with information on a three stage min diameter rocket I remembered reading about and remember the picture, the article and how this guy used conduits and banana plugs to run the stage wires externally for staging. I never did find that article and flipped through all my issues I have back to summer 1988 and still couldn't find it. I know I saw it ..... still can't find it.

I did a quick inventory tonight and I have most of the parts I need to build the EnerJet Sonic 36 so I guess you know what that means
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
I didn't happen to see a Centuri USS America...are you missing that SuperKit? I thought I spied an ESS Raven and a couple SSV Scorpions...

That is a sore subject with me... First off, I've always disliked that kit. Maybe it was the green decals or the overall "chunky" appearance it has. BUT, way back when, I ordered 3 SPIRIT Of America kits from Centuri. When the order arrived they had sent me 3 USS America kits... I was actually angry. I tried building one and I hated it so much it just sat half finished for 25 years. I just recently gave it to a friend. The other 2 I opened and used for parts... Given the prices they go for on Ebay now I am kicking myself regularly... And no, I still don't like that kit!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:22 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:

~ AL

AL

Now that you mention it I think that the EnerJet Sonic 36 that you posted the plans for is very likely a Gary Rosenfield design. If you have the first issue of Extreme Rocketry from March 2000, take a look at page 34. Gary is holding a three stage EnerJet-powered rocket with a "Mini-Cineroc" payload at Lucerne Dry Lake, c. 1973.

If you don't have the issue although it is out of print it is still available as a free download here with the Extreme Rocketry digital back issues:

http://www.extremerocketry.com/downloads/

Tell me what you think when you have a minute to take a look at this. The EnerJet Sonic 36 plans you have may be the plans for a two stage version of this rocket

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 09-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
AL

Now that you mention it I think that the EnerJet Sonic 36 that you posted the plans for is very likely a Gary Rosenfield design. If you have the first issue of Extreme Rocketry from March 2000, take a look at page 34. Gary is holding a three stage EnerJet-powered rocket with a "Mini-Cineroc" payload at Lucerne Dry Lake, c. 1973.

If you don't have the issue although it is out of print it is still available as a free download here with the Extreme Rocketry digital back issues:

Tell me what you think when you have a minute to take a look at this. The EnerJet Sonic 36 plans you have may be the plans for a two stage version of this rocket

Wow!! Thanks, Steve - I had completely forgotten about that photo. That has to be Al's Sonic 36.

Sean
Old 09-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
And to think that this was the *still growing* collection 4 years ago...

I thought you had more kits than that, Scott.

Bob
Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
AL

That sure looks like the bird to me .

Same fins , thats for sure, and according to the Composite Dynamics catalog ( ninfinger - http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...d81/81cd28.html ), the mini-cineroc was 1.25" dia, which surprisingly enough is this size.

main body tube length looks longer on that one Gary's holding, but otherwise dead on .

Maybe someone could drop gary a note and ask him about it, and if the plans were published, maybe he knows what I forgot / misplaced ?

~ AL

ps: love the other pics in the articel, too .. like the Omaga with the strap-on boosters, or the Yellow & black AT hobby display, I've seen that photo before, but not in living color.
note the ACE ' Ultra' hanging - I had one of those, sold it to a friend who's now out of the hobby, might have to look him up and get patterns for that as well :-)
Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
ok guys, I have a breakthrough of sorts.

here's the scoop / what I recall, etc.

1) I know for CERTAIN this was a published plan, but for the life of me can not find it
I'd assumed maybe CRM, or High Power Research, but have triple checked every issue I have - might have been Model Rocketry, but I doubt it as most of the copies I have have come in the last couple years thanks to ebay.
I even checked all my club newsletters, just in case, with no results. .... thinking now it might have been in SNOAR News, since some members of our club were subscribed, and about the right timeframe, iirc.

2) I did find an invoice from Magnum Inc, Dec 1993 that has FSI 1.34" parts tacked onto it, which I;m fairly sure were for this bird, so that's about when I built it .

3) I found the drawing posted below in a folder I have
hand drawn with dimmensions,etc, but rather detailed lengths, etc - I know this was not something I dreamed up, as I'd have just cut the tube and had it at that ( ie" boost and payload = 18" so one tube could be used, or else 18" sustainer tube, one cut for pl/ booster, etc.. hey I'm lazy with scratchbuilts, lol

sooo.. the mystery as tot he origin of the plans I saw deepens, but the photo of BJ Humpries prooves the bird exists, it;s too close of a match to my drawing and builtup .
Photos of the built rocket show my "heavily influenced by Ron Schultz and others in the late 80's " auto paint,mylar wraps,etc.

Enjoy .

~ AL

AL

I used your provided dimensioned drawing to create two RockSim files for the EnerJet 36. One version with the original 29mm mounts in sustainer and booster, and another version with 24mm mounts for black powder D and E motors.

I used all Semroc parts: LT-125 instead of ST-13 only because I have tons of the Semroc LT-125 on hand
I haven't simmed any 29mm motors yet but I did sim the 24mm motor version with D and E motors. D12-0/D12-7 yields approx 1,500' and D12-0/E9-8 about 2,145'. Deployments are almost perfect and used a LOC streamer for recovery of the upper stage.

Thanks again for posting this historic rocket design. I do appreciate it.

Four words - I'm gonna build it .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  _EnerJet Sonic 36.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  16.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EnerJet Sonic 36 24mm RockSim.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  98.6 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt _EnerJet Sonic 36.rkt (42.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: rkt _EnerJet Sonic 36 24mm.rkt (63.9 KB, 76 views)
SAM# 0052