Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Craftsman

Default vern

One quick story to tell. early 80's We did a movie called Megaforce. BAAAD movie but has a cult following today. We made two different models, a 3 engine F100 model for the dune buggys and a single F100 for the motorcycles. I wrote a letter to Estes Industries using my friends name and school address, Dear Mr Estes,
I just saw the movie Megaforce with your rockets in it and
am building a dune buggy and wanted to get some some of
YOUR rockets....blah blah blah.

Barry got a letter back from someone Dear mr xxxxxx we do NOT condone this type of use of model rockets Those are not model rockets and we had NOTHING to do with it.

We had a good laugh around the plant and that was the end of that. Flash forward 28-29 years. I was telling Vern about it at Narcon even though he had nothing to do with anyof that by then. He just kinda smiled a bit and said,"yea that sounds like something they would have said at that time."
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I don't want to turn this into a politics post and get banned, but the value of money changes with inflation. I tried to explain that to Lonnie, but given his own life experience he believed a dollar was a dollar. He was not aware of the consequences of the news on inflation. We now in hindsight see just how strong it has been. A 1913 dollar is now worth an equivalent penny.

I kept 1972 prices on my products until about 1992. In hindsight that was a mistake because counter-intuitively more product gets sold at higher prices because it increases incentives at all levels, and users simply adjust to it, some go away and some others add in. But they do that anyway in this industry. Hence BAR's.

Jerry
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Craftsman

Default prices

Lonnie, actually the whole Reese family was very old school for lack of a better term. I think that is why I liked them so much. Way I was raised and this is what you do period.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Craftsman

Default polit

I understand what you are saying Jerry. I miss Lonnie and Harold but I am glad they are not around to see what this country has become. He would have ranted for days about a trillion dollar coin............
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbons4
I understand what you are saying Jerry. I miss Lonnie and Harold but I am glad they are not around to see what this country has become. He would have ranted for days about a trillion dollar coin............
I am not allowed to but . . .
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Craftsman

Default Lonnie

I would be rich if I had a dollar for every time I heard the......slap(the old screen door slamming shut onto the enclosed patio area) "Tim did you see the news last night about..............."
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Are they going to hand pack 27mm F100's, F7's and E60's like the old way ???
Despite having replied to this earlier, it didn't register then that the machines weren't used to make the bigger motors. So I wonder if there's that much value in having them at all. That is, whether these machines are resurrected or reincarnated, they won't be making E60's and F100's on them.

IMO, to be the new BP vendor on the block, product differentiation is key. Not having those powerful motors will make that more difficult. While there are plenty of neat motors to be made in 18 and 13mm formats, coming to market where those sizes already proliferate will make for very difficult growth. It will be hard to penetrate the market.

If the machines are to be used, it seems to me that one key is to modify them to make the larger motors.

If all they make is more B4's and C6's, I'll try a few, just to say I did it. If they make some B14's, I'll surely get in line. But if they can make E60's and F100's, I'll be throwing elbows to cut in line

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Despite having replied to this earlier, it didn't register then that the machines weren't used to make the bigger motors. So I wonder if there's that much value in having them at all. That is, whether these machines are resurrected or reincarnated, they won't be making E60's and F100's on them.

IMO, to be the new BP vendor on the block, product differentiation is key. Not having those powerful motors will make that more difficult. While there are plenty of neat motors to be made in 18 and 13mm formats, coming to market where those sizes already proliferate will make for very difficult growth. It will be hard to penetrate the market.

If the machines are to be used, it seems to me that one key is to modify them to make the larger motors.

If all they make is more B4's and C6's, I'll try a few, just to say I did it. If they make some B14's, I'll surely get in line. But if they can make E60's and F100's, I'll be throwing elbows to cut in line

Doug

The intention is to possibly make the larger BP motors. There *are* machines for them, but simpler and they only assist in some of the steps. Dave says he wants to make composite motors (for which they had many parts made) because he's familiar with that and enjoys that.

I'm not sure, but they may not have even bought the 13 and 18mm machines, though it sounds like he still has access to them.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

The FSI D18 (about 12 or 13 N/s) and D20 (about 13 or 14 N/s) motors were interesting also. They were barely in the "D" range, but if thought of as a super "C", they would make nice niche motors with the D20 able to throw considerably more weight than a C11, especially in a booster configuration.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The FSI D18 (about 12 or 13 N/s) and D20 (about 13 or 14 N/s) motors were interesting also. They were barely in the "D" range, but if thought of as a super "C", they would make nice niche motors with the D20 able to throw considerably more weight than a C11, especially in a booster configuration.

I had great flights in the FSI Megatron with D18 and D20-0 booster staged to longer burn sustainer motors like the FSI E5-6. Those two D motors also ripped in Penetrator and the Orbit kits. Man I miss those motors .....

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates