Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default 1st post! Question re: painting "flames"

I'm helping my son build a kit and he wants to add some flames. For some reason, I can't wrap my brain around an idea for the best way to do this. would flames need to start at the top of tube and extend all the way down? That would be a lot. But if I start midway, how will that look, and how do I start them?

Also, do you paint, then mask with flame-shaped (cut) blue tape,then paint again? Anyone have pics they're willing to share?

Thanks!

(PS: I did search first w/no luck)
Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcaller
I'm helping my son build a kit and he wants to add some flames. For some reason, I can't wrap my brain around an idea for the best way to do this. would flames need to start at the top of tube and extend all the way down? That would be a lot. But if I start midway, how will that look, and how do I start them?

Also, do you paint, then mask with flame-shaped (cut) blue tape,then paint again? Anyone have pics they're willing to share?

Thanks!

(PS: I did search first w/no luck)

I've never attempted flames but here's a link to a build thread where DM1975 painted some flames on a TLP Scimitar:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=3246

Some of the best flames I've ever seen. He gives a few tips about halfway down the first page. I don't think he's been active here in a while but you may want to try sending him a PM for more info.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 01-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Dave, I did check that out and IM him. Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I'm new so don't weight my advice as much but I would guess you have 3 options. You could print your flames out on paper, you could print them out on decal paper or you could draw them.

For my latest rocket I wanted it to look like it was going so fast it was shredding the top coat of paint off the rocket. So I painted the nose cone, down to the payload section black. Then from the body tube to fin can cherry red. I then used blue painting masking tape and wrapped it around the top of the body tube. I drew a torn up pattern on a piece of paper and taped that over the masking tape. Using and exacto knife I traced the drawn image. Then I removed the tape that I had cut off. I gave it a couple coats of black and after drying 24 hours took off the rest of the masking tape. It came our really good even thought it kinda looks like flames, it was also the first time I ever painted something in my life so I was impressed with my work. Ill post pics if you want.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks Jim and Shady! I would love to see those pics, it sounds like a great idea for a paint scheme.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcaller
Thanks Jim and Shady! I would love to see those pics, it sounds like a great idea for a paint scheme.

Ill try to take pics tonight or tomorrow, I'm still in the process of moving.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Here is the pictures. Their not the best pictures and it was my first time painting but I think it came out well.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Junior Rocketeer

The way I have done it in the past on other things than rockets is this

Lay your base coat down (The color other than the flames) and once it's completely dry, Get some wide masking tape. Run one layer then another layer above it or below it. You'll need how ever many layers to get the "flame length" you'll want.

Now with a pencil draw the flames. You can erase or modify them as you wish.

Once you have them the way you want them you take a hobby knife and cut out the flame lines you have drawn. You want to cut the curves as smooth as possible to make them realistic. Then you peel away the inside and now you have your flame area to be painted. Mask off the rest of the rocket and your good to go.

Some of the paint I have seen on this forum is amazing and maybe there is a better way but that is how I have done it in the past.