Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2021, 09:27 AM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
I was hoping that maybe something new was in there.
That same image of the blue tactical version was in Gunston.
I have that one drawn already but the source shop blueprint does not show those funky hexagon fin tip plates.

I had similar prototype differences when researching the Grumman Eagle missile.
So I drew both versions.

A little more info on the Rigel program here:
http://www.designation-systems.net/...p1/ssm-n-6.html
The same images are in Gunston's book. I've been planning to scratch the orange test vehicle for some years now. Have the balsa ramjet nose cone set aside.

Gus, for a comprehensive directory of US military rockets and missiles you can't beat this site:
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/index.html
Only thing missing is dimensional drawings. But hey, military so, you know...
Laters.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Craftsman

There is an actual RIGEL hanging from the ceiling at The Cradle of Aviation Museum.

Here is some useful data for your future model.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Rigel hanging in museum.png
Views: 44
Size:  630.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rigel Test Version XSSM-N-6 overall.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  300.1 KB  
Old 08-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
There is an actual RIGEL hanging from the ceiling at The Cradle of Aviation Museum.

Here is some useful data for your future model.

Enjoy!

Outstanding!
Thanks Chris.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:40 PM
7/21/61

Quote:

Chris,

Thanks for mentioning the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Long Island. Not a museum I hear mentioned very often but some interesting rockets and space artifacts.

My favorite there is Block One Command Module 002 which was flown on top of Little Joe 2 A-004, the one we all model. For reasons completely unclear it is painted in A-004 livery, but is displayed as having just landed in the water with a parachute draped over it (see photo). Again, for no apparent reason, the parachute is one of the three from Apollo 15. ???

Not that I would ever advocate such a thing but the display butts right against a short little rail which practically begs you to touch A-004 and the parachute. So, again, not that I'm suggesting such a thing, but if you yearn to touch an actual very historic flown spacecraft you may have actually modeled, one that isn't hermetically sealed in plastic, this is your place.

They also have Lunar Module 13 there, meant for Apollo 19, and the very cool Lunar Module Trainer. the Lunar Modules were built just up the road at Grumman's Bethpage facility.

One final item I recall, again for no explainable reason, was the command pilot (McDivitt's) hatch from Gemini IV, hanging on a wall at the Cradle of Aviation museum. My understanding is that it has since been recalled by the Smithsonian to be reattached to Gemini IV. Ya think? Gotta love the Smithsonian and how they display flown spacecraft. Absolutely a wonderment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Rockwell-Command-Module-002.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  38.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  iu-1.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  703.3 KB  
Old 08-21-2021, 08:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
We Have Capture: Tom Stafford and the Space Race
Is that a good book to get?

Stafford Air & Space Museum,
https://www.staffordmuseum.org/exhibits

I enjoyed reading it some years ago. But I get ANY book written by an Apollo astronaut pretty much as a rule. Well, Mercury or Gemini astronaut too. Not so much for the shuttle astros, though I have read several of those as well.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-22-2021, 09:01 PM
Banned

I found a few items . . .

TWO of the images of the model on the launcher are MUCH larger.

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  rigel3a.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  54.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RIGEL MODEL - 2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  31.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rigel FTV Desktop Model.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  107.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RIGEL - 1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  218.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RIGEL MODEL - 3.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  309.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RIGEL MODEL - 4.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  474.8 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RIGEL - 19930087567.pdf (997.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 08-22-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:27 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Chris,

Thanks for mentioning the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Long Island. Not a museum I hear mentioned very often but some interesting rockets and space artifacts.

My favorite there is Block One Command Module 002 which was flown on top of Little Joe 2 A-004, the one we all model. For reasons completely unclear it is painted in A-004 livery, but is displayed as having just landed in the water with a parachute draped over it (see photo). Again, for no apparent reason, the parachute is one of the three from Apollo 15. ???

Not that I would ever advocate such a thing but the display butts right against a short little rail which practically begs you to touch A-004 and the parachute. So, again, not that I'm suggesting such a thing, but if you yearn to touch an actual very historic flown spacecraft you may have actually modeled, one that isn't hermetically sealed in plastic, this is your place.

They also have Lunar Module 13 there, meant for Apollo 19, and the very cool Lunar Module Trainer. the Lunar Modules were built just up the road at Grumman's Bethpage facility.

One final item I recall, again for no explainable reason, was the command pilot (McDivitt's) hatch from Gemini IV, hanging on a wall at the Cradle of Aviation museum. My understanding is that it has since been recalled by the Smithsonian to be reattached to Gemini IV. Ya think? Gotta love the Smithsonian and how they display flown spacecraft. Absolutely a wonderment.

A lot of these museum curators now are more like interior decorators than historians... they create their displays in a way to create "drama" or be visually interesting not necessarily for the best observation, presentation of the historical artifact, or even historical accuracy or preservation of the artifact itself. IOW that's what happens when museums are expected to become cash cows rather than existing as repositories of knowledge and artifacts for display. It's why the NASA visitor centers are visually interesting and even striking in some cases, but historically often inaccurate or rife with errors-- NASA farmed out their visitor centers to independent contractor companies "edu-tainment" type outfits a long time ago, and thus while they have more "appeal" to passing tourists they're often not particularly concerned with historical accuracy, etc.

Later! OL J R
Old 09-14-2021, 02:32 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
We Have Capture: Tom Stafford and the Space Race
Is that a good book to get?

Stafford Air & Space Museum,
https://www.staffordmuseum.org/exhibits

WOW has that place grown!!! Years ago I stopped there when it was just part of a hangar at the municipal airport in Weatherford, OK, when I was returning from a trip out east via Lubbock to visit my sister when she was in college at Texas Tech. General Stafford was from Weatherford originally and of course he had a distinguished military and NASA career, including the joint US/Soviet spaceflights of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) which was the last flight of the Apollo, along with Deke Slayton who finally got to fly into space on ASTP. They had a lot of Soviet stuff there too as General Stafford became good friends with Alexei Leonov who was the commander of the Soviet Soyuz that docked with Apollo on ASTP, whom had donated quite a bit of material to Stafford's museum.

If Stafford has a book out I'd sure buy it! OL J R
Old 09-14-2021, 02:34 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I enjoyed reading it some years ago. But I get ANY book written by an Apollo astronaut pretty much as a rule. Well, Mercury or Gemini astronaut too. Not so much for the shuttle astros, though I have read several of those as well.

Earl

Yes me too... I get every astronaut book I can lay my hands on, but I prefer the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo books, shuttle program history is secondary IMHO... like everything shuttle related, it's not as good as its predecessors... OL J R