Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2006, 03:04 PM
rocket dinosaur

Default 1965 1st ed Hardback with cover Handbook of Model Rocketry

title says it all... looks to be a 1965 1st edition hardback with dust cover....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Handbook-Of-Mod...1QQcmdZViewItem

terry dean
nar 16158
Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
title says it all... looks to be a 1965 1st edition hardback with dust cover....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Handbook-Of-Mod...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yup, I have one of those in my collection. I have all of the handbooks that were printed except for the latest one that Bill put out.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-18-2006, 05:14 PM
7/21/61

"Readers copies" of the first edition are frequently available through book sites such as AbeBooks or Bookfinder.

A "Reader's Copy" is generally a former library copy or personal copy without a dust jacket. These are sometimes available for as little as $10.

A copy like the one being offered is worth more, because of the dustjacket, but how much more is difficult to say. From the photo the dustjacket appears to be in the "fair" category with a sticker still obvious in place and the mark from one being removed in the upper right corner. These things detract from what would be offered by a collector. No mention is made as to whether this is a former library edition, or whether there are any interal marks, which would also detract from the value.

"Handbook of Model Rocketry" editions 1 thru 5 were printed as both hardbacks and paperbacks but editions 6 & 7 are paperback only.

Rarest of the Handbooks are the paperbacks of the first edition (which I have only seen offered for sale once), and signed versions of any edition which rarely come up for sale.

G. Harry also produced another "Handbook" in 1970 called "The Model Rocketry Manual" which was published in paperback by Sentinel and then reissued in 1977 as "The New Model Rocketry Manual" by Arco. If I remember correctly this was authored as a result of Stine's association with a rocketry company (MPC ?).

Many rocketry folks are unaware that G. Harry Stine was a prolific author of both non-fiction and science-fiction (under the pen name Lee Correy). Virtually all of his work (including Star Trek #6, The Abode of Life) is still available at very reasonable prices through used book dealers.

Last edited by Gus : 11-18-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Many rocketry folks are unaware that G. Harry Stine was a prolific author of both non-fiction and science-fiction (under the pen name Lee Correy). Virtually all of his work (including Star Trek #6, The Abode of Life) is still available at very reasonable prices through used book dealers.

I highly recommend "Starship Through Space" and "Rocket Man", two of "Lee Correy's" best. He also had several short stories in Astounding SF and other "pulp" magazines of the 50's.

"Starship Through Space" benefits from having been "edited" (informally) by Robert Heinlein. The book is dedicated to Robert and his wife Ginnie. In turn, Heinlein dedicated one of his juveniles that he was writing at the same time, "Have Spacesuit - Will Travel" to G. Harry and his wife.
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 11-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

I had a copy of the 1970 "Model Rocketry Manual." In fact, I still have it, less covers and several pages. It had a black cover with an line illustration of a rocket . . . in red, I believe.

It was definitely an MPC co-production. Most of the models shown were MPC kits, and their were subtle plugs in the text for the company.

I saw the later edition in Powells a few years back. I should have bought it, for the collector's value.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:03 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
... I should have bought it, for the collector's value.

Stefan,

Good thing you saved your money. You can get a copy of the 1977 Arco version, good condition, in hardback online for $5.07 plus shipping. A copy of the (theoretically) rarer 1970 paperback version can be had in Good condition for $10 and Near Fine condition for $15.

Of course, if you are an ignorant **** you can buy a copy of the 1977 version in Good condition from one dealer trying to hawk it at $165.

Which brings up a good point. Buying stuff like this as an "investment" makes little or no sense. Buy something like one of G. Harry Stine's early volumes because of it's historical or hobbyist interest, not because it may appreciate in value. Because, with rare exceptions, hardly any of this hobby stuff appreciates more than the stock market has in an equivalent amount of time. Sure, there are the occasional (very rare) exceptions. But for the most part, none of this hobby stuff (or most of the "collectibles" stuff for that matter) is a good investment.

Case in point, The Model Rocketry Manual was published in October 1970.

Retail price 1.50

Dow Jones Industrial average 10/1/70 = $770.68

Retail price of Model Rocketry Manual today Near Fine condition $15.

Book appreciation 10X

Dow Jones Industrial Average closing yesterday $12,342.56

Dow Jones appreciation 16X

Even a signed first edition of Stine's 1982 Star Trek #6 is only going for $31.

Not exactly a small fortune.

But if you happen to have saved any of Gus Grissom's cancelled checks, now THOSE I might be willing to pay BIG money for, LOL.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Master Modeler

The Powell's copy was under $5.00. I could have made a cool $.07!

Some stuff appreciates dramatically in value . . . if you find the right buyer.

About eight years ago I auctioned off a half a file box of rocketry ephemera (catalogs, instruction sheets, flyers) for over $400.