Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Master Modeler

Default New Estes ARF kits.... a sampling

Another line that Estes had on display at NSL in May and that we haven't discussed yet was a number of "ARF" low-power models. So far in this line there are two BT-55-based four-fin rockets and a 24mm booster stage for same, and three BT-60-based rockets and a 24mm motor booster for these.

In last week's HobbyLinc sale I ordered an example of the Booster-60 and the Helios rocket to go with them (and a pack of D12-0s). They arrived today.

One feature of both the Helios and the Booster-60 is an integral version of the threaded motor retainer similar to the now-well-liked Pro Series II 29 and 24mm retainers.

The fins appear to just slot into the base of the fin can on both the rocket and the booster and there is little else to do to get them ready to fly. The Helios comes with an 18 inch 'chute.

Over the weekend I'll document the assembly of both of these and add them to the thread here. Then maybe I'll get a chance to do a little flight testing.

Yes, I know, almost ready to fly (ARF) and ready to fly models aren't all that popular here, but I see some interesting possibilities in kit bashing with these (with a low emotional debt factor). That could be fun, indeed......

(FYI - these are also featured on pages 14-15 of the 2013 Estes catalog)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I will be buying some of these models as they look like fun.

I'm looking forward to your review, Bernie.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
One feature of both the Helios and the Booster-60 is an integral version of the threaded motor retainer similar to the now-well-liked Pro Series II 29 and 24mm retainers.

Will the 24mm retainer fit within a BT-55 tube or is it for BT-60 and larger only?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Master Modeler

There are two boosters being offered. A BT-55 and BT-60. This booster consists of a two piece plastic fin can, A stagging cone that directs the gasses from the D12-0 motor into the second stage motor nozzle, a screw on motor retainer, a already installed 1.125" piece of either a BT-55 or BT-60 body tube, four plastic fins and a stager. The fins just slide into place. You can glue then into place if you wish. The stager is used in place of the upper stage screw on adapter.

So you purchase one of the new ARF's, then purchase the corresponding booster if you wish. You fly the standard ARF model as it comes but then when you wish to fly it as a two stage you unscrew the rockets motor retainer, insert your upper stage motor, then screw on the stager that came with the booster. Insert the D12-0 motor into the booster ,screw on it's retainer and your ready to go apart from prepping your recovering system. There is no longer the need to friction fit motors or taping motors together.

You of course can also purchase a booster, rip off the short section of body tube, replace it with a longer section of tubing and have a D12 powered model with a plastic fin can.

Also, any of the different fin shapes will fit in any of the new fin cans which also includes a BT-50 size one.

John Boren
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Master Modeler

I had noticed, looking at the fins of both the Booster-60 and the Helios that they looked like they would be mechanically interchangeable.

The "stager" that John refers to above is a replacement for the screw-on motor retaining ring for the sustainer that has a ring around it which fits into the stage coupler (short section of BT-60) portion of the booster. This is the separate part you see in the illustrations of the boosters on the web site. Slick!

I'll actually put these two together tomorrow and take some pictures as I go. I'll post those here when I can.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Will the 24mm retainer fit within a BT-55 tube or is it for BT-60 and larger only?

Bill

The separate PSII 24mm retainer epoxies onto a 24mm motor tube, just like the 29mm one does. I haven't checked to see if the outer ring (that you remove and replace to put the motor in) will fit inside a BT-55 or not, but of course if it projects aft far enough the diameter of the rocket doesn't matter - it'll even work on a BT-50-based model. I'll be interested to see how it fits up to an ST-9 tube (which has the same ID as BT-50 but thicker walls).

That's really a subject for another discussion....though I may add that into the picture shoot when I set up for that tomorrow.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Master Modeler

The 24mm screw on motor retainer was desinged to fit over the Estes HBT 1000 body tube which has the same .95 ID as the BT-50 but has a thicker wall for an outside diameter of 1.0". You will need to add a couple layers of tape or extra glue to a BT-50 body tube to get this adapter to fit, which is easy enough to do.

John Boren
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
The 24mm screw on motor retainer was desinged to fit over the Estes HBT 1000 body tube which has the same .95 ID as the BT-50 but has a thicker wall for an outside diameter of 1.0". You will need to add a couple layers of tape or extra glue to a BT-50 body tube to get this adapter to fit, which is easy enough to do.

John Boren
Or, use the ST-9 which is .950" ID .998" OD.

John,
This line looks better to me every time I look at it. Good work!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
John,
This line looks better to me every time I look at it. Good work!

I agree.

I'm looking forward to returning from NARAM-55 and doing a bit of rocket shopping.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Master Modeler

Default PSII 24mm retainer and tubing

I didn't take pictures, but the PSII 24mm motor retainer is a rather loose fit on BT-50 as John's post above indicates. It is a much better, but still loose, fit on ST-9. This latter fit is close enough to attach it with epoxy as is intended.

The included instructions do tell you this first thing.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE