Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default Quest 18mm D motors

I just received word from my hobby industry insider that testing is continuing on the Quest 18mm D motor. It now appears that it will be available for the Spring 2006 flying season.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I just received word from my hobby industry insider that testing is continuing on the Quest 18mm D motor. It now appears that it will be available for the Spring 2006 flying season.

Has Quest set anything "in stone" about what the rating will be? Are we talking about a D3-x or something more "impulsive"?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Has Quest set anything "in stone" about what the rating will be? Are we talking about a D3-x or something more "impulsive"?

I was also wondering about that. I was all set to gut my Estes National Aerospace Plane this afternoon to install a 24mm mount, but I thought that I'd wait to see what the new Quest D might do for it. It's quite a pig and can barely clear the rod with a C6-5. Maybe I should drag out some of the C5-3s I still have to see if that gives it more punch off the rod.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Launching since 1970.

They had used the "D20" designation in early discussion, but that is not a final designation.

it would be safe to assume it will be somewhere between a 12 and 21 Newton average thrust.

It is composite.

I've seen and touched a prototype casing which was on display at the iHobby show (dangling on a tether around the neck of a Quest person). They had a brochure showing silouettes of the motor and some larger kits and the brochures said something like "Top Secret coming in Spring 2006".

I would like to see this D in an "LUR" version, if that is possible, but I did not ask if that was in the plans. I would personally assume that it will be marketed to normal Model Rocket folks who need a simple "plug and play" motor.

Speaking of simple - the Q2 igniter is now better. Probably better than the Estes igniter now. They made the lead wires thicker so they do not bend together and short out when you install the Q2 with an igniter plug or "tac". They are packed on a protective card inside a retail bag. Word is that some 3 packs of motors will still have TigerTail igniters until the supply runs out, but the bulk packs are all being loaded with Q2 igniters. If you really like TigerTails, you can probably phone in an order for bulk packs of motors and request only TigerTails. Our club bought 600 A6-4 motors (for use in class programs) and 100 C motors in bulk packs and we requested Q2 igniters when we were asked what we preferred. We had no idea we would get the new version (or that the new version existed). Cool!

Quest also now has a real catalog.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Fred has it right in his statement above. They won't announce what kind of "D" motor it is till about two months before they release the motor to the public. It is currently still in testing.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 PM
GET GOONY!!

I think that this is actually good news. wel... not the delay part, but I like the idea of a lower impulse 18mm D motor. I guess my thoughts are: why make a D20, if Aerotech has a D21?
A D13 would be fine.
A D9 wonderful.... but a D15 would be OK too!

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

It has been widely suspected that Aerotech will be making these for Quest.
As such I'd bet they will be vastly overpriced compared to an Estes BP 24mm "D".
I suspect one would be much better in installing a 24mm mount and using a BP engine.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Launching since 1970.

I spoke with Gary R. from Aerotech in person at the iHobby show. He said that after the Quest D motors hit the market (and I will assume get 'established'), that Aerotech will stop making the D21 single use motor.

Quest probably hopes to sell a lot more 18mm D motors than Aerotech did or could on their own.

Looks like a nice partnership. Each company concentrating on their own core competencies and demographic and referring folks to each other.

Notice the link to Quest on the Aerotech website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I think that this is actually good news. wel... not the delay part, but I like the idea of a lower impulse 18mm D motor. I guess my thoughts are: why make a D20, if Aerotech has a D21?
A D13 would be fine.
A D9 wonderful.... but a D15 would be OK too!

Phred
Old 10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I had really hoped that these were going to be similar to the old early 1970's Cox D8 18mm BP motors; yes they were "small" impulse D's (think around 13 nsec) but were much more powerful than a C6. (and yes I still happen to have a hoard of Cox D8-0's and D8-3's that I still use today !)
Because they were BP, they were AFFORDABLE (around the same price as Estes C's !).
The Cox D8-3 is a GREAT motor for the original Mars Lander (along with the C5-3 also) .
No way will I be spending around $8-$9 for one flight when I can buy THREE 24mm Estes D's for that price. If these sold on the market for something reasonable (say NO MORE than $4 each) I would consider buying them. I know this will not be the case as this would be cheaper than a RMS 18/20 reload.
The only application I see a real use for an 18mm composite is some sort of competitive event that spec's a 20n-sec limit but allows airframes of 18mm.

Dont get me wrong here....I LOVE my RMS 29/40-120 and 24/40 but I just can't seem to grasp using them when cheaper BP motors will do.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Have to agree 110% here.

I was all excited to hear about the D, same as others, but after hearing it will be composite and not BP, then the hype died away :-(

Cost is always an issue (although even a composite 'D' is much cheaper than K-L reloads :-) , but single use composite pricing has gotten WAAAAAAAAY out of line lately :-(

as I've posted before, the MOST needed item in rocketry today is a line of D-F (? G ), Black Powder motors.
Been trying to get someone to make those for us for years with no takers,otherwise you;d be seeing my line-up of " Green Dragon " motors on the market right now.

( might yet someday, but composites, although becoming compliant as a manufacturer,so we can do production, is a l;oong (and co$tly :-( , process..... we can always dream ( and keep doing R&D,etc.

~ AL