Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Had a few nice flights of the SST Shuttle today. Two on B4-2s and one on a C6-3. Beautiful! The glider made nice wide spirals. No damage, but the last flight was hairy as the two 12" chutes tangled until close to the ground. I think I am going to replace them with a single 18" next time. The B4-2s took it to almost 100 feet maybe, and the C6-3 got it to maybe 450 or so feet . It was windy so there was a little weathercocking. All in all she is a beauty in the air. Missed the launch, but here are some action shots. That's my son chasing the glider, which is still in the air in that shot.
Drew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  131_3103 glider_1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  102.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  landing_1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  214.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  131_3101 best_1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  63.0 KB  

Last edited by dtomko : 11-12-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Bill, if you are checking anyway...see if anybody found my mini Astron Sprint. That thing is only 9" long and it landed on the right side of the road about where the SEMROC booth was.

One can hope! But i think I'll just have to make another one.

Ok.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Had a few nice flights of the SST Shuttle today. Two on B4-2s and one on a C6-3. Beautiful! The glider made nice wide spirals. No damage, but the last flight was hairy as the two 12" chutes tangled until close to the ground. I think I am going to replace them with a single 18" next time. The B4-2s took it to almost 100 feet maybe, and the C6-3 got it to maybe 450 or so feet . It was windy so there was a little weathercocking. All in all she is a beauty in the air. Missed the launch, but here are some action shots. That's my son chasing the glider, which is still in the air in that shot.
Drew

Nice looking field. I almost feel guilty for not flying today, but I'm getting a lot of building done.
I love the picture of your son chasing the glider.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Awesome! Hurry up and fly her again and get some launch pics!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Thanks!
I snuck out with the kids to get a few launches in; today is going to be even more beautiful, but I have to clean the gutters and rake leaves until dark
The field is my son's elementary school field. There's an upper part with a fenced in soccer field and a big lower area used for outdoor gym and soccer practices. The field also slopes down a good way to a pond. There's a lot of area to chase rockets in and I have launched the two-stage Black Widow and a heavy D powered rocket, although that's pushing it. Heavier rockets on Cs are also doable. It's also usually vacant out of soccer season on the weekends.
The shot of my son chasing the glider is a keeper! I would have gotten more launches in yesterday, but the batteries in the launcher went dead
Drew
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up "How big should that chute be?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Had a few nice flights of the SST Shuttle today. [SNIP] No damage, but the last flight was hairy as the two 12" chutes tangled until close to the ground. I think I am going to replace them with a single 18" next time.
I just checked the SST Shuttle info from JimZ, which indicates the original Centuri kit had a 20" chute. So 18" should pretty much be right on the money.

Quote:
That's my son chasing the glider, which is still in the air in that shot.
To steal a quote from Chas Russell: "Priceless!"

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 11-15-2005, 11:41 AM
BAR

Great pics on a nice looking bird. Isn't it great to have a kid that likes to chase rockets? Last weekend I had son push the launch button, daughter waiting downwind to chase, and me just prep rockets and watch them fly, it was great!

-Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default SST cones

Had an original, bought in first year of production. Definately Plastic NC. Blue ram jet vac formed parts. Bought the cc kit - trying to fab copies of the provided intakes to their original hollow vac form now. The kit looks beautiful but those solid ramjet cones and tails are unnecessarily heavy. Might try FG resin. Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thomas
Had an original, bought in first year of production. Definately Plastic NC. Blue ram jet vac formed parts. Bought the cc kit - trying to fab copies of the provided intakes to their original hollow vac form now. The kit looks beautiful but those solid ramjet cones and tails are unnecessarily heavy. Might try FG resin. Any thoughts?

The resin ramjet parts are heavy, but Semroc includes nose weight to counterbalance. If you wanted to vac-form copies, you'd have to sand down the outsides of the Semroc parts to get the proper fit and that would be a pain, I think. I have flown it twice on B4-2s and it gets to about 100 feet, which is perfect for small fields. It gets to a good altitude on C6-3s. You could also take a razor saw and lop off some of the shoulders of the resin parts; they probably don't need to be as long as they are if you want to save weight.
Drew
Old 11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default heavy cones

Thanks Drew,

I might try trimming and a shallow bore of the resin, which will have, I'm sure, a negligible effect on the weighting. Sometimes just knowing it ain't right can really put a bug in you! How many times I have spent a ridiculous amount of effort on a detail, and ignored a major imperfection!

Bob