Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Craftsman

Default Centuri Servo Launcher

Hi Jeffrey Deem,

Yes, that's the Centuri Servo Launcher you're describing. It uses the same Centuri ID-65 blast deflector as the Centuri Power Tower.

If you no longer want it or need it, I'll be glad to use it and to reimburse you for the postage. Sent you a PM with contact information.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879
Old 09-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Dazed and Confused

Same deflector for the Servo, Powr(sic) Pad and Power Tower.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:13 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

I'll see if I can dig it out sometime soon.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Master Modeler

Default Pictures and scans

Here is what I wound up with.

For the stickers I wound up setting up a camera (my iPhone 7 Plus) on a tripod and making sure it was parallel to the surface where I laid the stickers. Then I took some advantage of natural diffuse light (on the front porch on an overcast day) and got what looks to me to be a clear enough image that someone who wanted to use it as an underlay to redraw the stickers in Corel or some such as a prelude to making reproductions. I hope it is.

Also attached is a scan of the instructions, a picture of the little extra bits (the push nuts and the spring-based standoff), and some of the blast deflector. Perhaps the blast deflector images will be useful in refining that solid CAD model a few posts back.

These stickers went on the parts just fine in spite of their age and the Power Tower was one of eight "classic" launchers we used at our club launch last Saturday. See fourth picture for the whole cast of characters before I strung out the wiring for the launch controllers. The Big Foot and the Power Tower (and the blue Electron beam on the far right) launched their very first rockets ever last Saturday.

I didn't use both push nuts in assembling my Power Tower so that the blast deflector would not be permanently attached to the launch rod. Instead I put the upper push nut and the spring on a rod and used a 1/8 inch model airplane wheel collar (which is held in place with a setscrew) under the deflector so I could - and did - take the deflector off for storage.

Geeky detail: In digging into old launchers I found that the Centuri Power Tower went from tall to wide at the same time as the Estes Porta Pad (whose plastic parts are interchangeable with the Centuri unit) - in the 1982 catalogs. I believe the sticker set could be reproduced and used on a black Estes Porta Pad to reproduce the later version of the Power Tower (along with the ID-65 blast deflector or a facsimile thereof). To complete the illusion one would want to change the model number on the sticker to 5601 to match the 1982-1983 Centuri unit.

As far as I know, the earlier taller version was never sold in black by Estes, so to make one of those earlier ones into a Power Tower clone one would have to paint it black I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8235.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  939.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8242.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  988.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8243.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.08 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0368.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  454.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8248.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  854.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8247.jpg
Size:  757.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8245.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  981.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8244.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  988.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8241.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  989.5 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PowerTowerInstructions_2.pdf (586.0 KB, 34 views)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 09-13-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Master Modeler

Default More blast deflector

More blast deflector pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_8255.jpg
Size:  722.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8254.jpg
Size:  654.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8252.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  606.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8250.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  751.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_8249.jpg
Size:  825.6 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Lost his Drifter

Thanks for the pics Bernard. Those were neat blast deflectors. I think I still have one in a box somewhere. I wonder if the tooling to stamp these still exist.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Master Modeler

It would be great if it did - I like that style much better (except for the means of attachment as my latest edit to the post with most of the pics mentioned) than the flat plate of the Estes-style pads. Less blowback onto the fins of the model for one thing....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Is this the same blast deflector that was used on the pad that had the pneumatic control and the battery located in the launcher whose name are conveniently forget. Because if it is I know I've got one in there minus the pneumatic controls it's in my attic but I could dig it out and I'd be willing to send the deflector or even the whole pad to somebody that wanted it I've got no use for it.
The Servo-Launcher (that's it's name, see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/72cen052.html ) would make an excellent 3D printed "Retro-Repro" piece of GSE (Ground Support Equipment). Having a pneumatically-activated ignition switch on the pad itself (it had no ignition lead wires), its batteries-to-igniter wire leads were only a few inches long (and thus had very little voltage drop), which enabled it to fire igniters using only two Photo-Flash "D" batteries. (Today's alkaline and rechargeable "D" batteries would work well, too, and connecting two more into the circuit might be ample for igniting clustered motors.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Craftsman

Bernard,
Thanks for documenting the Centuri Power Tower that you have! I've been working on a SolidWorks 3D CAD model of the ID-65 Blast Deflector (product no. 5806) for it.

I've attached an image of my 3D prototype so far. It's pretty close, but I'm still tweaking it to get a good flat pattern. Rocketguy101 and I are collaborating on it together, so hopefully, we'll have some good drawings for it soon!

Also mentioned in posts #23 & #25 at the following link:
https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...7498#post217498

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  ID-65_Blast_Deflector.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  37.9 KB  

Last edited by Faithwalker : 11-14-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:33 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Bernard,
Thanks for documenting the Centuri Power Tower that you have! I've been working on a SolidWorks 3D CAD model of the ID-65 Blast Deflector (product no. 5806) for it.

I've attached an image of my 3D prototype so far. It's pretty close, but I'm still tweaking it to get a good flat pattern. Rocketguy101 and I are collaborating on it together, so hopefully, we'll have some good drawings for it soon!

Also mentioned in posts #23 & #25 at the following link:
https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...7498#post217498

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879

Using Jeff's model as a basis, I made a stab at sheet metal model that could produce a flat pattern. It isn't perfect, as I can't get it to fold with the ribs inserted. Jeff used a different technique to make his model, but it won't flatten

The corners of the "pan" will be tricky to make on a press brake since they are compound curves...someone with more sheet metal experience may be able to bend with some sort of forming tool. That said, the final piece would require welding to close up the seams. The original was stamped using forming dies, like an automotive part. This would get you in the neighborhood for a clone, I believe.

This drawing is full scale on a "C" sheet of paper (11" x 17") I put dimensions on the pattern so you could double check a print out.

EDIT: I goofed on the bend angles on the side flanges. They should be 40 degrees, not 50. Here is the corrected drawing (Rev A)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ID-65_Deflector-DMS-Rev A.PDF (50.6 KB, 40 views)
Get yer Barrowmans here

Last edited by rocketguy101 : 12-10-2017 at 12:02 AM.