Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
In the winter back in about 1968, I tried to make a rocket sled. The problem was that as soon as it hit any kind of bump in the snow it went airborne. I lived next to the Jr. High School athletic field and I must have launched that sled across the field 20 times before I gave up on it. I tried adding spoilers, wings, super long runners with the motor pointed slightly down to try to keep it on the snow but nothing worked.

I used that "Waterproof Igniter" that came in the 50 ft roll also.

I did the same thing in 1977. The runners are still somewhere in my old range box. I'm not sure if mine ever got past the build stage. We "waxed" the runners with melted crayons.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM
rocket dinosaur

G.HArry Stine and Orvillse H. Carlisle both INDEPENDENTLY discovered electrical ignition of model rockets cicra 3-5/1957. (At that time there was No NAR (or MMA) and no Safety Code. See my Early History Timeline for more facts . The Orville H. Carlise patent also shows FUSE igntiion (filed in 54/received in 58)) Thats what GHS said at least. More likely is the fact that they were in a mail conversation during that time frame , so its more likely unlless they were keeping it secret and to themselves, they probaly contributed to each others work without realizing it, or admiting it. No patent was ever filed by GHS or OHC per electrical ignition. The first igniter patent was filed in 1965 by VD Estes which became the famous Astron Igniter. I hope that GHS saved his corespondences with OHC and would like to see them some day; same for the GHS letters that OHC has/had. I'm sure his son has them

terry dean
aka shockie

"Old Rocketeers don't die; they just go OOP"

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 01-10-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Hasen't anyone seen and or used the old centuri sure shot ignitors which is exactly as you
describe here was all about and worked, They where great if used for custers and in fact I;m
sure lead to the use of fuse(thermalight ) for High power .
Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Rocketerr#57 inquired: Hasen't anyone seen and or used the old centuri sure shot ignitors which is exactly as you describe here was all about and worked, They where great if used for custers and in fact I;m sure lead to the use of fuse(thermalight ) for High power .

I still have several packages of Sure-Shot ignitors. However, since they are now about three decades old, they only smolder when fired. The wick has gone bad even though they were stored in an ammo box.
Thermalite has long been the choice for high power motors, whether as the pyrogen or sheathed. Alas, it is difficult to purchase and requires all sorts of hoops to be jumped through. More trouble than worth. I use a magnalite kit to make ignitors (or enhance them) and I really like the Quickburst ignitors. Some folks talk about the expense, but when you consider messing with making igniters, your time, and reliability, they are cost effective.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Rocketerr#57 inquired: Hasen't anyone seen and or used the old centuri sure shot ignitors which is exactly as you describe here was all about and worked, They where great if used for custers and in fact I;m sure lead to the use of fuse(thermalight ) for High power .

I still have several packages of Sure-Shot ignitors. However, since they are now about three decades old, they only smolder when fired. The wick has gone bad even though they were stored in an ammo box.
Thermalite has long been the choice for high power motors, whether as the pyrogen or sheathed. Alas, it is difficult to purchase and requires all sorts of hoops to be jumped through. More trouble than worth. I use a magnalite kit to make ignitors (or enhance them) and I really like the Quickburst ignitors. Some folks talk about the expense, but when you consider messing with making igniters, your time, and reliability, they are cost effective.

And the QuickBurst Hot Shots are superb for BP clusters...