Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Evel Knievel's legacy

"37 years ago today..." was Sept. 8, 1974, and the following event put my adopted hometown on the map.:

http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/Will...-129495073.html

Will Robbie Knievel outdo his father's Snake River Canyon attempted jump?

By Jay Michaels

TWIN FALLS, ID (KMVT) 37 years ago today, the eyes of the whole world were watching while Evel Knievel attempted to jump the Snake River Canyon.

On September 8th, 1974, Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel's steam powered X-2 Skycycle briefly took to the skies over the Snake River Canyon. The parachute deployed while the Skycycle was still on the ramp, and Knievel landed on the south side of the Snake River.

About a year and a half ago, his son Robbie Knievel met with 25 or 30 local agencies to try that jump again.

Shawn Barigar, President and CEO of the Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, says, "At that time Robbie and his crew really came with and idea to jump the canyon. And we all said, we're open to having that conversation. But you need to bring us a plan, not an idea."

Evel Knievel died at age 69 in November 2007. Back in 1974, local residents and private companies hired by Knievel were dismayed by the aftermath of unpaid bills he reportedly left behind. That's a situation that their 21st century counterparts want to avoid.

Barigar says, "You're dealing with two counties, a state, federal agencies, Twin Falls City, Idaho State Police. All of these different agencies that have some say in this. And it can be a daunting task to say where do I start?"

Barigar says he told Robbie Knievel he needed to contact the Idaho Department of Lands to start the process of assembling a plan for the jump. Barigar says in the last half dozen years, about half a dozen people have said they want to jump the canyon. But he says none of them have contacted the local agencies that they need to get permission from.

Barigar says, "They need to have a plan in place that addresses those resources, either pays for them to be provided by us in the community, or bring security or whatever the case may be. But covers those costs, because nobody wants to be stuck at the end of the day with a bunch of bills that aren't paid."

Sept. 8, 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Evel Knievel 1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  187.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Robbie Knievel 1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  205.2 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by CenturiGuy : 11-28-2011 at 09:53 PM.