Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes PNC-60B Nose Cone?

Do any of you know a source for the Estes PNC-60B, P/N 071015 nose cone? It was used in the D.A.R.T. (kit #1981) which was in the 1987 and 1988 Estes catalog. It was also used on the SCUD-B (kit #1340) and Mach-2 (kit #1379).

I've emailed Estes and am awaiting a reply, but figured I'd check here. I've also used the contact links on a couple of the likely suspects such as BRS Hobbies and Flits Kits (sp.?).

I would like to clone the D.A.R.T.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Master Modeler

Ah, just got a reply back from Christine at Estes. The part number isn't found in their system. Considering it's from a 20-year-old model, I'm not too surprised. Gee, how did 20 years sneak by since I bought and flew that model?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Forest Sprite

Ahh, the D.A.R.T.! I have been longing to clone this one, too. You might be able to get Gordon at Roachworks to turn a custom balsa (or hardwood) version of the nose cone for you. I have never seen one of these cones "in the flesh," but, judging from catalog pictures, it looks like it is just a fat conical shape with several concentric grooves cut into it.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Gordon posted a thread about turning some Scud nosecones a while back. Bill, aka A Fish Named Wallyum, aka Fishhead built a D.A.R.T.

Search for "Scud" and you will find both threads. Bill's thread title has something to do with ugly rockets.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I didn't even have to look far.

Just clicked on the file labeled "SCUD".

Obviously the one labels BT-60 is for a BT-60.

The other one didn't get labeled but it's for a BT-70 version. I'll have to fix that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCUD BT-60.pdf (124.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: pdf SCUD B.pdf (113.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: pdf SCUDBT-60 nose.pdf (20.4 KB, 153 views)

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Master Modeler

Wow. I thought this was going to be one of those futile searches, which one nevertheless engages in because you never know. Wow. Thank you, gentlemen. Email sent to Sandman (Gordon?) at Roachwerks.

As mentioned in the thread referenced a few posts up, the D.A.R.T. is a bit ugly, but it has a very satisfying flight profile, especially for a small field. Plus I painted mine flat black with orange fins and cone instead of the standard color scheme.

The best place I've found to fly in Austin, TX is Burnet Middle School and it's still too small for anything which will really go. We managed to lose a streamer recovery bird with an A3-4T there last weekend. Of course, it was a tiny little BT-5 based model. Still, I wouldn't want to try to fly something like a Midget there, given that A10-0Ts are the only thing available for boosters these days. Nor would I launch anything with a C engine there unless it was pretty weighty.

Anyway, that's wandering afield. Point is, the D.A.R.T. is a good model for the field convenient to us, but the one I have has sentimental value and I'm not very comfortable risking it. So I'd like to make a near identical model I can take out and fly without (much) worry.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Scale is my first passion but if you have to make a D.A.R.T... OK, go ahead.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
Wow. I thought this was going to be one of those futile searches, which one nevertheless engages in because you never know. Wow. Thank you, gentlemen. Email sent to Sandman (Gordon?) at Roachwerks.

As mentioned in the thread referenced a few posts up, the D.A.R.T. is a bit ugly, but it has a very satisfying flight profile, especially for a small field. Plus I painted mine flat black with orange fins and cone instead of the standard color scheme.

The best place I've found to fly in Austin, TX is Burnet Middle School and it's still too small for anything which will really go. We managed to lose a streamer recovery bird with an A3-4T there last weekend. Of course, it was a tiny little BT-5 based model. Still, I wouldn't want to try to fly something like a Midget there, given that A10-0Ts are the only thing available for boosters these days. Nor would I launch anything with a C engine there unless it was pretty weighty.

Anyway, that's wandering afield. Point is, the D.A.R.T. is a good model for the field convenient to us, but the one I have has sentimental value and I'm not very comfortable risking it. So I'd like to make a near identical model I can take out and fly without (much) worry.

Hey Jeff, you can always come down to Needville and fly with us (Challenger 498 NAR
Section)!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Hey Jeff, you can always come down to Needville and fly with us (Challenger 498 NAR
Section)!

Thank you, Dave. It took me a few minutes to decipher the sentence (having some unprecedented vertigo today). If I still lived in League City, and assuming I wasn't under water, I would take you up on that.

There is an Austin Area Rocketry Group (Section 585 NAR) which I'm thinking about joining. They appear to have access to a couple of large fields. At least their web page discusses launching larger engined models such as 'M'. My experience does not extend past 'D'. But if I'm reading their page right, the large fields are only available for use during their monthly scheduled launch. That still leaves me looking for a good field when I want to take my son out for some weekend or evening launches.

AARG's site also mentions a park in Round Rock. I'll need to check that out and a coworker said there's an RC plane/rocket park in south Austin, which I've never heard of.

Most of the parks in Austin are full of pesky trees. The tree huggers like them, but they're inconvenient for rocketry.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
Thank you, Dave. It took me a few minutes to decipher the sentence (having some unprecedented vertigo today). If I still lived in League City, and assuming I wasn't under water, I would take you up on that.

There is an Austin Area Rocketry Group (Section 585 NAR) which I'm thinking about joining. They appear to have access to a couple of large fields. At least their web page discusses launching larger engined models such as 'M'. My experience does not extend past 'D'. But if I'm reading their page right, the large fields are only available for use during their monthly scheduled launch. That still leaves me looking for a good field when I want to take my son out for some weekend or evening launches.

AARG's site also mentions a park in Round Rock. I'll need to check that out and a coworker said there's an RC plane/rocket park in south Austin, which I've never heard of.

Most of the parks in Austin are full of pesky trees. The tree huggers like them, but they're inconvenient for rocketry.

Jeff, the AARG is a SUPERB model rocket club & NAR Section. Very well organized with a lot
of very experienced members, including veterans of the Internats and NARAM (among others). I think they regularly fly from two, maybe three launch sites, so you'll be well
covered by joining and flying with them. Keep in touch and let us know how things work out.